loud boks, then hoarse

Alethea

Songster
8 Years
May 23, 2011
One of our fifteen-week-old barred rocks was bokking so loudly last evening that we went out to see what was going on. All seemed to be ok, though the chicks were all in that alert "what was that?" posture. Today Greta is hoarse, just a squeaky weak voice. Is that normal? Will she be ok? As a side note, could she have been trying out her future egg song at her tender age? I'd appreciate some of your collective experience.

Chickens are remarkably resilient. She will be ok. I wonder if there was a reason (varmint/danger- even an imaginary one) that caused the commotion.

I just talked to a girl yesterday whose parents were getting irritated at the roo for making a ruckus @2 in the morning several nights in a row. Then they found the buried eggs and her mom was "cornered" by a skunk.

We do have raccons here but they stay away from the area until closer to dark. Could have been an early one, though. Thank you for letting me know she'll be ok. She is the frienliest of the flock.

It's another couple of days and Greta still squeaks. Any thoughts on when she will get her voice back?

Is your chicken still hoarse? I've got a young pullet myself that started sounding odd a few days ago. She sounds hoarse and kinda like a goose actually, kinda a loud grating kinda sound. She's talking her normal chicken talk, her voice is just way different. No other apparent symptoms. I keep hoping she'll get better and watch her for odd behavior but she seems fine otherwise. My other chickens are fine... It's a mystery. She's my favorite girl. I tried searching the forum too, didn't really find much. I just wondered if your chicken healed up?
-Cielo

My chickens actually started sounding hoarse when the heat got too much! Is the weather hot where you are?

I have 6 girls, all about 18 weeks old. They honk like a geese. There is no bawking at my house. I swear I own geese and not chickens! LOL Its quite funny and I dont know what I will do when they start sounding like chickens!

I posted about a similar problem with my BR this week. She made quite a fuss over laying her first egg, very loudly, for a very long time. She lost her voice for about 4 or 5 days. It's only just coming back. So, I guess it can happen.

Back
Top Bottom