Loud chicks=loud chicken??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by glowworm, Jun 11, 2008.

1. glowworm

glowworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    SacraTomato, CA
    I'm going to go pick out my first chicks (pullets only) in a couple weeks. I live in the suburbs so I'm trying to avoid anything too noisy.

I was wondering if anyone has noticed a correlation between noisy chicks turning into noisy hens. Will it help me if I avoid picking out the talkers or the ones that are just louder? I will have all different ages to pick from too, so if anyone noticed that you can't tell with day old chicks, but can with, say 2 week olds, that will help.

I know this works with puppies and kittens, so maybe it works with chickens? LOL

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I've got one that was loud as a day-old chick, and is now very yacky. I probably should have named her that, in fact!

(guess I should have said - she's now a year old)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  3. S0rcy

S0rcy Chillin' With My Peeps

I didn't notice a correlation. My Buff Orp chicks screamed for hours when I went to bed (their brooder was in the kitchen) but now they are peaceful little cluckers in the backyard. The only time they squawk is one is getting put in her place or they are chuckling for treats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by