Loud Delaware's

MissBay

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 21, 2011
I have 8 chickens, 2 buff's, 2 Del's, 2 Rhode's and 2 Bared Rock's. The Delaware's are sooo loud and noisy. They just screech non-stop when they see you.
I realize there chickens and chickens make noise but the Del's are annoying. Not sure I can do anything about it !!! There 22 weeks old and have just started
laying the last week.
Any Advice????

Quote:
I know what you mean, I have one Delaware that has been laying for about 3 weeks and when she does she is Extremely loud, that is why we call her the "screamer", her sister is not laying yet, but has the loudest voice when treats are around, and both are little devils too, but funny to listen too, not sure about what the neighbors think about them though??

Sounds like mine aren't the only loud ones !!!!!!
I'm also afraid my neighbors might complain.

I don't have any deleware's, but mine are very loud too! My SS is the worst. I thought she would settle down now that she is laying.
idunno.gif
. I wish there is something I could do to make them happier.

Mine have all been quiet, except one. She passed away recently, but we called Maxie The Mouth of the South. She went on and on, bellowing like a cow at times, for no apparent reason. None of the other Delawares we've ever had were like Maxie. I sort of miss her caterwauling.

My older Delaware was very noisy from about 18 weeks to 20 weeks, then she started laying and quieted down.

My younger Delaware is 17 1/2 weeks old, and she is so quiet - never hear a peep from her.

Oh gosh, my Delaware is the constant topic of conversation on these boards. She's obnoxious. She screams like a dying goat ALL morning. Her reason? Oh, she doesn't have one. Give her treats, she still screams. Pick her up, still screams. Lock her in her coop, screams even more. Let her out, screams to make up for not being heard earlier. She's also my lead chicken and a real diva.

My delaware chick daisy is a peeper already even though everything is perfect for her, was from day 1 its always PEEEEEEP PEEEEEEEEEEP PEEP PEEP PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP! Unless I have treats to give shes peeping and adventuring..... from reading these posts I can only imagine what she will be like when shes grown up !!!!!
barnie.gif
haha Love her still though, my most adventerous and curious chic I have, she is only 3 weeks old and she has already began to enjoy roosting/ checking out and testing herself on if she can jump to the next highest stick i have put up for roosts. Always curious! She will probably be quite the handful diva.... probably will be nicknamed diva!!!!

Glad to know my daisy isnt the only screamer of a delaware!

Last edited:
I have one delaware and she is the leader of the pack from day one, and is really loud. When I go out they all welcome me, she sounds like a goose honking is the way I describe it, but if I'm not around is not loud. 30 weeks old and squatted the other day, so hopefully will start laying soon.

Back
Top Bottom