LOUD HEN! What do I do!?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by urban dreamer, Nov 8, 2009.

1. urban dreamer

urban dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Sherwood, AR
    One of my Barred Rocks is very loud! Especially with the arrival of the new hens. I have tried to block her vison of them but she knows thier there. She constantly makes a "Brak Brak Bark Brak" noise that I can hear in the kitchen. She is in "time out" right now so that my Code-Officer neighboor can do his yard work in peace. I worried about her. She is a beautiful hen with a huge reg comb. And lays big brown eggs. I don't want to get rid of her but Im afraid I may have to if she doen't quite down. Her squaking hasn't been that bad. She used to only make rackett when we would come outside and she'd beg for treats. Now its all the time like a rooster! Please help! I don't know if the neighboor is gonna put up with this...should I talk to him?

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

How old is she? Some calm down with age.
    My Dorothy is like that, she never shuts up, but she's not as loud as the nearest neighbor's dogs...heh

Is it feasible to muffle the sound with a little porch over your pop door or by using vinyl sheeting around the bottom half of your run, or snow boards?
    And yes, it may be wise to have a chat so your neighbor knows you are considerate of his needs. Even strategic hedges or other plantings can help.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I had a similar issue when I last added new pullets. The dominant hen started screaming all day & night at the pullets. I brought the hen into quarantine in the house for a week. When I put her back out I think I had shook up the pecking order enough that she didn't scream again, and they all have gotten along well since.

Good luck

Imp

4. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I too have a noisey hen that never shuts up from the time she wakes up til she goes to bed BAWK BAWK BAWK BAWK. I have tried everything to calm her down and make her quiet but nothing works. If you happen to figure out how to quiet your hen down PLEASE let me know [​IMG]

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Some hens are just loud. Some of mine are definately louder and more talkative than others.

6. urban dreamer

urban dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Sherwood, AR
    The hen is two years old. My new chooks are in quaretine right now.

7. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I had a noisy BR hen. In fact, she was a noisy pullet and a noisy chick.

When I built the coop, I purposefully had it closed on the neighbor's side. It is really only open on the opposite side from the neighbor except thru the summer when I have an open window to the north. Even at that, the chickens stay mostly on what could be called a "sunporch" thru the summer. That is the open side, away from the neighbor's house.

I have had chickens over a number of years here. This BR hen was - by far - the noisiest chicken that I've had here and the noisiest I can remember ever having. She even tried crowing a few time [​IMG].

She's gone now . . . I was very, very worried that another hen would just start making all the noise and to a very, very limited extent - that's what happened. I'd only heard Edna cackle once in her entire life before the other BR was out of the picture. Still, Edna is much, much quieter when she does make a noise and it happens seldom - unlike that noisy sister.

If you can't "disrupt" the constant complaining or alarms or whatever your noisy hen thinks she's doing, you may not want to simply "put up with it" like I did for 18 months or so [​IMG]. But, I guess I learned something: If a tiny chick is noisy - she may well be noisy her entire life.

All things considered, my backyard is a much quieter place without that noisy bird [​IMG]. They each have their own personality and hers included making noise from dawn to dusk.

Steve

8. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    I have a noisey BR hen too. She has started to settle down.

9. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    I have a 10 month old RIR pullet that will not shut up. I take treats to the run to quiet her down, but she continues with her day long serenade as soon as she is through swallowing.

Marty

10. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry there doesn't seem to be much in the way oif suggestions to calm your girl down:/ Most of us just want you to know that your not alone:p I have a bird that will sing the egg song...when someone ELSE lays an egg...She must figure her voice is so much better than theirs![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by