1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Loud Mouthed Duck or something else?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Aug 10, 2011.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    We have one Khaki hen (based on quack and fact that she is supposedly sexed - no male markings yet) that frequently does a QUACK, QUACK, QUACK really loudly through the day. It does not appear to be triggered by disturbances (predators, etc), but just a random thing. She's always been very vocal (she's about 8 weeks old, just starting to molt, quacking been going on for several weeks now), and doesn't appear to be anything identifiable wrong with her, but it concerns me that she does this fairly frequently. I don't find anything to indicate injury, she's eating well, and active, but newby duck owner is a little concerned. Anyone had experience with something like this? She may just be a loud mouth duck, but want to make sure I am not missing something I just don't recognize.

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    She might be looking for someone. If she is an only duck, it could be you. "I'm over here. Where are you?" [​IMG]

3. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    mine do this periodically throughout the day, no reason I can determine... only mine are 5-quackers WAAAAAAAA-waaaa-waaa-waa-wa

4. ZoeS95423

ZoeS95423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    I have a cayuga that does that. And I have no idea why, And my other ducks will quack randomly throughout the day, but I think it just has something to do with them getting exited, ( its usually when they are digging in the dirt, I think they must find something grand )

5. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    All of my Campbell hens do that. I think its normal but I don't know what it means [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  6. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    There's a Cayuga I know that does that. I think she just likes to talk. But, I actually think she's trying to find her friends and perhaps a new boyfriend, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by