Louie the roo. PIC HEAVY.

Quote:
Carl has really cool coloring. Have you hatched any eggs that he has fertilized?

Wow is he handsome! Makes me want one. I've never had a rooster (we have little kids and I was scared off by a neighbors stories about mean roosters). I imagine breed and handling make a difference though. I think he had RI reds.

Quote:
Carl has really cool coloring. Have you hatched any eggs that he has fertilized?

Oh, several hens and some other people have hatched his babies. (I gave eggs to HHandbasket and sold some to people wanting to hatch fertile eggs for their kids' science projects.)

My very first GrandChick,Samantha, is his, egg-mother was his favorite hen, Rebecca, a partridge colored EE. Buffy the Vampire slaying Buff Orpington hatched their egg.

He fathered three "Delaweggers" with Delilah Delaware, before she succumbed to the Great Cocci Outbreak last year. Another hen hatched another of Carl & Rebecca's eggs, so now there are three partridge EE hens who look very much alike in my flock: Rebecca, Samantha and Becky.

HHandbasket will be cooking Gregory Peck, one of Carl's sons before too long; her DH processed him a few days ago. Gorgeous roo, but too hard on her hens and pullets.

Now that I have several roosters in the flock, Carl isn't the only daddy to chicks. The other Roos are careful only to mount hens and pullets Carl has not claimed as his special harem. Carl can "have" any hen in the flock he wants, but the other boys can only pounce on those out of Carl's sight, for the most part.

Quote:
Louie spends all day looking after his hens. He is diligent. When someone new comes over he will crow and crow. He'll let you know that he's protecting the hens but he's not aggressive, he'll just follow people around. I've handled him since he was a chick and he knows that I have the food. He will fly up on my shoulder and hang out, something he's done since he was able to fly up there. He does crow all day though, loud and proud. We didn't plan on having a rooster but now that we have one, I'm glad we do.

Last edited:
Here a couple of new photos of Louie taken May 17, 2012.
He successfully covered our hens and we hatched 8 chicks, 7 on April 1 in my home made incubator and 1 surprise chick on April 28.

Here a couple of new photos of Louie taken May 17, 2012.
He successfully covered our hens and we hatched 8 chicks, 7 on April 1 in my home made incubator and 1 surprise chick on April 28.

That close up has just done me in. He is GORGEOUS!
ep.gif
My boy is just boring - one colour, all black. But Louie, oh my. I want one.

Back
Top Bottom