Louisiana here...

SethJ

Songster
11 Years
Jan 9, 2009
Louisiana
Hello,...

Came looking at coop designs to get ideas,...so went ahead and signed in the forum.

just built new coops and brooders preparing for new chicks in February.

ok,..I'll elaborate.

I'm nearly 40,...good wife and family ,..out in VERY rural Louisiana.

This'll be our first experience raising chickens. I intend to get a straight run of meat chickens,....coop I built will house 16-18....and have a smaller pen/run for about 5-6 laying hens.

In the past I've raised rabbits,..but was ravaged by predators! Mainly bobcats and coyotes. My family lives close and they've raised chickens and ducks. They have a pen with an open roof,...a big no-no down here as their birds are often carried away by hawks and owls.

anyhow,..

I'm here just lookin around, seeing what I can learn.

Hey there,
welcome-byc.gif

Welcome. Glad to have a Louisiana neighbor. I know about the hawks and owls. We used to have a problem with that as well.

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif

What part of Louisiana? I'm in the extreme north. I've lost some to hawks and owls, too, so I put deer netting over the runs and have had no more problems.

Last edited:
Welcome SethJ. What part of Louisiana? I'm from South Louisiana. I'm dealing with a raccoon problem myself. He got my black jap banty last night. I am HIGHLY UPSET to day!. I do understand about predators. How far r u from Lafayette, Louisiana?

***Edited to fix username***

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom