"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Good morning Jeff! Crimson Dove I'm so glad you "fixed" your hen!

Very excited here, pretty sure one of my new peachicks is a peach pied.

Oh I how I do love me some peach pie (around here we call it cobbler) esp. with Blue Bell Old Fashioned Vanilla ice cream on top. LOL

Naw I'm kidding with you Terri that ought to be pretty lil' booger when all plumed out.

I have a stray cat that has decided to move in around here and he's an cream and apricot/peachy sorta siamese marked dude that's what has gave him a Visa/ right of passage so far as I thought I might could catch him and get him all fed up and gussied up for someone a nice looking cat. Its not that I don't really allow the cats here, esp if they do their job/mousers, its that my 3 Catahoulas Don't and get really quite annoyed at their presence which in turn really annoys me at full on sleeping mode. right? LOL

Well I have an unfinished coop that I desperately need to complete. I had a "professional contractor" from the paper but they turned out to barely know how to use a power drill.
he.gif
Would any of you "La-yers" know someone near DeRidder who may be able to help me for $$$? I need my pen enclosed and although it is almost done, my husband has not had time to finish it. It needs 5 more posts put into the ground, 4 panels of hardware cloth on it, and a door made for the pen. I also need 2 chicken doors put on the coop and ramps to go with them. Currently we leave the people door open all day for them to exit and enter. I need hardware cloth put over the two screen windows, 2 5-gallon water buckets hung on the inside and 1 5-gallon water bucket put outside in the pen. I have all the materials ready.
D.gif

Ashleigh, I can't wait for your batch to hatch so I can come pick up my babies from you!
wee.gif
Sprinkles, try calling David Graves @ 337-912-6426. He is a General Contractor in Sulphur. We just hired him to renovate our house in Sulphur.

Thought this was a bit funny:

I brought 2 pairs of sebbies to the Opelousas swap in May.  A pair went to Mzstre and the other I sold to a local man who was selling chickens there.  I got a call from him last week being accused of selling mixed breed geese! :gig He obviously wound up with a smooth breasted gosling (my gander is smooth breasted).  He wasn't ugly about it or anything, but he also wants me to go to his place and re-sex them. He can't tell the difference when he and his daughter tried to vent sex them.  Do you think I am wrong if I tell him to DNA sex them if he has an issue?  Vent sexing isn't always exact, and I told him this at the swap.  I am pretty good, but I wouldn't say I'm always 100%.  He also was mad because one of the white goslings I sold him had some light gray feathers.  A little quick research shows that this is typical juvenile female feathering that usually molts out, but I'm sure the man thinks that I've robbed him! 

I also sold some pure BW Ameraucanas last month.  The girls had been abused by my rooster and were starting to molt so they were looking pretty rough.  I explained to the people about the molt and showed them some pictures of the girls in good feather.  They happily took them home.  They were SUPER nice, but the called after a week wondering why they weren't getting any eggs.  Apparently they bought these girls hoping they would lay piles of blue eggs.  While they will lay the blue eggs, the pure bred birds aren't even considered average layers.  Add on the stress from the move, the heat, and their current molt and I wouldn't expect eggs from them for a good while.

I feel so bad that these people are confused.  Both are experiencing typical issues/characteristics of their breed.  I try to be as helpful to my customers as possible, but am I out of line for thinking that people should do a little research into what they are buying before they make a purchase?  I don't want people feeling like I swindled them!

Gracie, we absolutely LOVE our sebbies (Curly & Ruffy). They both follow us everywhere and talk to us constantly. Curly has started honking - he is hilarious! I've had a summer cold with a cough & every time he hears the cough he honks back lol! I thought they might be smooth breasted, but both are developing curls except for a small strip down the very center of the breast. Both of them have a bit of color coming in, but that is exactly what you told me to expect when I chose them. I did have to tape their wings (starting to twist) and now I know why. The sneaky little buggers found out that I have an auto feeder for the chickens in their coop. They've been sneaking in and raiding it! Grrr!

Gracie, we absolutely LOVE our sebbies (Curly & Ruffy). They both follow us everywhere and talk to us constantly. Curly has started honking - he is hilarious! I've had a summer cold with a cough & every time he hears the cough he honks back lol! I thought they might be smooth breasted, but both are developing curls except for a small strip down the very center of the breast. Both of them have a bit of color coming in, but that is exactly what you told me to expect when I chose them. I did have to tape their wings (starting to twist) and now I know why. The sneaky little buggers found out that I have an auto feeder for the chickens in their coop. They've been sneaking in and raiding it! Grrr!

I am so happy they are working out for you! If you post a pic, I can tell you whether they look to be smooth/curly breasted or not :) They were hatched from my smooth splash gander over curly white geese. This pairing gives you a 50/50 chance of curly/smooth. I need to sex one of my gray sebbies to figure out who I will pair up for next spring, but I am planning to have 2 curly pairs and 2 curly/smooth pairs.

And on the wing issues, I found this year that NONE who were raised on pasture experienced problems! Diet plays a key role!

Oh I how I do love me some peach pie (around here we call it cobbler) esp. with Blue Bell Old Fashioned Vanilla ice cream on top. LOL

Naw I'm kidding with you Terri that ought to be pretty lil' booger when all plumed out.

I have a stray cat that has decided to move in around here and he's an cream and apricot/peachy sorta siamese marked dude that's what has gave him a Visa/ right of passage so far as I thought I might could catch him and get him all fed up and gussied up for someone a nice looking cat. Its not that I don't really allow the cats here, esp if they do their job/mousers, its that my 3 Catahoulas Don't and get really quite annoyed at their presence which in turn really annoys me at full on sleeping mode. right? LOL
lau.gif
Now you have me drooling! I want to go home right now & make a peach cobbler!

I'm trying to trap two feral cats somebody turned loose a month ago -- they will come sneaking in & eat the food I put out for them, then harass our "barn cat" who is very gentle, steal her food & streak away like lightning if they hear or see us. So far no luck trapping them. One is a pretty grey and white & the other a smoke and beige tortiseshell. I just want to trap them & get them fixed before we have a bunch of kittens to deal with - then I'll turn them back loose & they can be on their own.

gig.gif
That's so funny about them honking back at you! I love geese -- wish I still had some!

I'm trying to decide if I want sebbies or pilgrims...I love the look of both. Of course finding either around here (east texas near shrevport) is hard. I like the fact that the pilgrims are auto sexing..... (g) anyone have any suggestions?

I'm trying to decide if I want sebbies or pilgrims...I love the look of both. Of course finding either around here (east texas near shrevport) is hard. I like the fact that the pilgrims are auto sexing..... (g) anyone have any suggestions?

LaMike has both I think. You can find him on this thread on occasion! Or check out his website http://paradisepoultryandwaterfowl.com/

Gracie,

Hows the pullets I gave your Father in law ? hope everything was good.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom