"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

What do you do with the excess roos? Do you process them or have you been able to sell them?

Not much of a market for excess roos. I am going to start growing them and processing them next spring.

That's what I did last year with all of the excess roos that I had. Delicious! :drool I plan on doing the same thing next year.

I suppose that's what I'll be doing as well. My uncle has a plucking machine we can use, I've just been putting it off. Queen of Procrastination here lol!

What do you do with the excess roos? Do you process them or have you been able to sell them?

Not much of a market for excess roos. I am going to start growing them and processing them next spring.

That's what I did last year with all of the excess roos that I had. Delicious! :drool I plan on doing the same thing next year.

I suppose that's what I'll be doing as well. My uncle has a plucking machine we can use, I've just been putting it off. Queen of Procrastination here lol!

I think you will enjoy the roos as dinner. I don't ever process hens, so I use all of the roos. I use them in gumbos, stews, etc. Tastes the same as a hen. :)

Yep I'm hoping it was the heat that made them stop , their all of egg laying age and I think they all decided to molt also, but my neighbor thinks it may be because I got rid of my roo and that's when they seemed to stop laying, so hopefully soon I will start getting eggs again . And I really like your basques, and I've been itching to get my incubator running again just don't have any eggs to hatch
sad.png
Honestly, I don't think rooster have anything to do with egg production! That's just my opinion though. Curious to see what everyone else thinks

I couldn't run mine off w/a stick. If you look back a few pages, I posted a pic of them Sat or Sun. If you hatch them yourself, they will bond to you. If you get them as keets, spend a lot of time with them & keep them confined for a while until they are sure they are "home".
That's great news,.. I'm gonna talk to DH about it,.. do they roost with the chickens? or need their own place?

my hens are starting to lay again it seems. 3 weeks ago i was getting 0 eggs for 2 months before that and then 1 a day and the last 2 days i got 4 i already got 4 today and i notice another hen getting on the nest a few mins ago, its still not great for 27 hens and only 4 eggs a day but things are starting to get better, i sure hope it continues

The first 3 pictures are the sussex that I already had. The last two are of what I got yesterday. Gracie, the roo in the last 2 pictures is the one I have available.

He looks great! We will be going to the next Covington swap, so we will be able to pick him up then! Thank you so much. Oh, and can you PM me a price?

I think you will enjoy the roos as dinner. I don't ever process hens, so I use all of the roos. I use them in gumbos, stews, etc. Tastes the same as a hen.
smile.png
I am cooking 2 roos for dinner tonight and they smell great. Tonight's roos Will be stewed with gravy and rice.
droolin.gif
They taste a lot better than the store bought type and you know what they ate. I used to sell all of my roos to a local chef, until I started cooking them myself. I know why he was so glad to get them. I could go to my local livestock auction place,(they do not auction poultry, but you can sit in the parking lot and sell your poultry)and get $5 to $10 for extra roos, but between us and the dogs, we don't have any extras, anymore. I am fattening up a couple dozen roos and a half dozen tom turkeys and plan to fill a freezer for the winter. The weather is just wonderful, I love this time of year! I always have more roos than the girls want and the hens will actually hide from them wen the are too many.

Back
Top Bottom