"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Sassymygirl, Apr 10, 2009.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    OMG!! You have been busy. :lau

I thought I was gonna have to drive up yonder to find you. Glad that you checked it. Please check in more often. ;) I was kinda worried.:(

2. PrimroseMom1

PrimroseMom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My Dear BYC Friends,

My granddaughter and I entered a contest with The Advocate newspaper in Baton Rouge. It is called Pets in Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness. We made a fancy pink dress for Primrose, our chicken. The contest is NOT judged on cuteness, it is judged on VOTES, and we need your votes to win. I am attaching the photograph. BUT, you must VOTE for us to win. Here is how you vote:

Go to: www.theadvocate.com/contests
    Go to: Pets in Pink Contest and click on “Vote”
    You will have to register (sorry) with your email address and a pass word.
    Then you can vote daily for Primrose. She is currently #10 out of 12.
    You can VOTE ONE TIME A DAY from each email address.
    PLEASE VOTE ONCE OR EVERY DAY OR A FEW TIMES OR WHATEVER YOU WOULD LIKE.
    THE CONTEST ENDS OCTOBER 31, so we don’t have much time to get our votes in.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. My granddaughter really wants to win. We spent all day working on the outfit and posing Primrose. She is the only chicken in the contest right now.

Please FORWARD this to anyone.
    Thank you so much!
    PrimroseMom1
    [​IMG]

3. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

:yuckyuck

:lau

Ok. I can try to paint Prince, my white peacock, and spray him with some Blue Kote. It turns purple once sprayed on. :lau

4. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

OMG!!!!!! Soooooooooooooo cute!!!!!!!!!! :love

I'm on my way to vote. I hope she wins!!!!!!!! :weee

5. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Lol julie . You could just send me the white one I wouldnt mind [​IMG]

6. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry,.. I just got to reading the thread today,.. it's been so beautiful outside that we've been spending every waking moment out there!

I have used a couple of different recipes,.. to see what we liked and this is the one my family likes the best

Yields: 8 cups
    2 lbs kumquat

1 meyer lemon
    8 1/2 cups sugar
    6 cups water
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    8-1/2-pint Mason jars

Squeeze the lemon. Gather the juice and pulp.
    Wash the kumquats and thinly slice them using a sharp chef knife. Discard all the seeds and the white center membrane.
    Place the sliced kumquats, lime, water and sugar in a pot. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a medium low and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat. The content should be syrupy. Cover, set aside and let it sit overnight (at least 18 hours) at room temperature.
    The following day, bring the kumquat syrup to a boil, then reduce a simmer for one hour. Stir every now and then using a wooden spoon. Bring back a boil. Skim any foam that develops on the top before pouring into the Mason jars. Add the vanilla extract.
    Ladel into prepared jars leaving 1/4 headspace and use a 10min. processing time in a water bath.
    I have tried the no pectin recipes but found that they just didn't set up as well as I like,.. but it was more of a wonderful sauce,..

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It's so pretty,..and it's about the only good use I have found for kumquats![/FONT]

7. Roxanneinla

Roxanneinla Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2012
    Leesville Louisiana
    Voted and posted on the Central Louisiana poultry club facebook page...good luck. she is the cutest out of the butch

8. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Better yet, find me a bronze female! Two of them, since I had a gentlemen in California call me Friday afternoon wanting to buy one. Alas, I only have my progressive bronze D'artagnan - and he is not for sale! I need a mate for him....my girls are all IB split whites.

Sounds like you've been pretty busy Mike, lol! keeps ya outta trouble! [​IMG]

Oh & I don't raise geese so no sebbies here, sorry.

9. TerriLaChicks

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    What a darling pic! I'll mosey over there & vote for her!

10. TerriLaChicks

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Thanks for posting the recipe - would make good Christmas presents!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by