"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Sassymygirl, Apr 10, 2009.

1. AprilsFrizzles

AprilsFrizzles Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    You're welcome! I hope you can find something that they like! [​IMG]

2. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Yeah I don't consider those Show-girl silkies much of a chicken either in my book, even if they are bred from one of the worlds oldest breeds of chickens around.[​IMG] I know a little bit of their heritage and background though, and for those folks that like such: "go ahead on" I say. [​IMG]I know they make for excellent broodies and mama chickens, might be a good investment for incubation purposes, they're almost fail-safe as they aren't man-made or human controlled.

Yeah I have the same ignorant bumkins here too that wouldn't know if a chicken egg came from a hens @$$ or a hole in their head. So I can really relate as they say: "ignorance is bliss" and that fits a lot of catagories in life. It all depends what you know and where you learned it, I reckon. I try to take a little sample of all kinds of different things in life, way outside the realms of the same ol same thing and what the worked for Grampaw is not always the best thing to go by. My Grampaw was raised up a long time ago and he even said so himself, to me: " son the good ol days weren't so great"!

But all in all life's good and it takes all kinds to make the world go around, as it'd be a really boring place if we were all programed as the same robots doing everthing the same as the other. I'd surely figure out how to short circuit someway for the better or worse if that was the case. [​IMG]

I'll have to make it a point to post up on here more often, with pictures of more of the real chickens instead of the regular ones as everybody knows what those look like, evidently. Then there will be more information and stuff put out there to compare others to as some may benefit by learning something new, others, not so much as "It just don't matter" I hear that a lot too 'round these parts HUM [​IMG] imagine that, as IQs are probly averages of their shoe and hat sizes combined(maybe) [​IMG] Like you say they just want something to EAT and its [email protected]$$ chickens and brown eggs. That's all that matters, nothing differen,t no siree, their great gandparents may roll over in their graves from such.

Not much spice in their life if you ask me [​IMG]

Jeff

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Yes, and from what I was told, they deliver in Opelousas one day of the week and I may ask them about delivering it to me once a month. That would help out a lot.

4. AprilsFrizzles

Apr 3, 2012
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Oh wow. I didn't know places did that. That would be awesome for you if they could, especially since you have such a wide variety of animals!!

5. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Yes, it takes all kinds. ;) I think I fall into the "conservative" category like the other old timers. That's probably because my grandmother had the true "backyard" chickens when I was young. She would go out back in the chicken yard, grab a hen, ring it's neck round and round and come back in and cook it. :oops: She was ruthless woman standing 6 feet tall. All we saw and ate were brown eggs growing up.

I just can't seem to get excited about the different breed chickens. :idunno However, peafowl, turkeys and sheep are my fav group of animals. I can appreciate a beautiful peacock or pean hen and it's background but not so much a chicken. Maybe because I don't show any chickens or breed to sell them. That's probably why there's no interest. And then again, I have so many animals, I don't have time to concentrate on genetics, lineage, etc. :confused: Perhaps if I had 10 chickens, I could but with the number that I have, it's no way possible.

6. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Yea, I hope so. I only bought about $250.00 worth of feed on Saturday but that didn't include the cracked corn. We didn't have room for cracked corn. I'll have to see how many bags I will need for an entire month with the Petrus Feed. There is a rabbit breeder in Opelousas that gets his rabbit food delivered to his house. I may be able to get with him and arrange something.

7. AprilsFrizzles

Apr 3, 2012
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    If they charge a delivery fee, maybe y'all can buddy up and get your feed brought together. It might help [​IMG]

8. AprilsFrizzles

Apr 3, 2012
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Why oh why can't feed cost like $5 a bag LOL

9. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Just remember this an additive to thier regular layer/or grower rations or whaT ever you are feeding at the time. 14% is not enough to properly maintain good heathy chickens and them produce eggs/meat on the side.

Here's the feeding directions on the product info.
    On the 14% poultry maintainer:

Feed free choice to mature chickens. Keep
    feeders clean and provide a source of fresh,
    clean water at all times. Do not feed as a
    laying ration. Additional supplementation is
    required for egg production.

I use the Nutri-boost that Lonestar offers, this I use when I have my breeders in the pen breeding for hatching eggs. It sort of gives them a little boost in vitamins and nutrition for a good healthy chick to develop from.

Jeff

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  10. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

I wish. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by