"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

If I use Lone Star Nutri-boost, do I need to add Oyster Shell to it for laying hens? Where can I get this near Baton Rouge? THANKS!!!

Its always a good thing to have oyster shell out as a free choice by the hens their inside nutrient meter will tell them when they need an extra bite or so of them the layer feed will have just a certain amount in the mixture this sometimes is enough but when the hens are in full blown production mode they will need some additional calcium then and in the hotter parts of the year their metabolism just don't get everything done just right and you will see more shelless or soft shell eggs and them having the choice to eat them some calcium rich supplement will help out with this problem. The nutri-boost is not a complete feed either. If I can find out the info I will post it here I have a sack out in the feed shed now. It is to be added in a proportionate amount with the layer rations also.

Jeff

Its always a good thing to have oyster shell out as a free choice by the hens their inside nutrient meter will tell them when they need an extra bite or so of them the layer feed will have just a certain amount in the mixture this sometimes is enough but when the hens are in full blown production mode they will need some additional calcium then and in the hotter parts of the year their metabolism just don't get everything done just right and you will see more shelless or soft shell eggs and them having the choice to eat them some calcium rich supplement will help out with this problem. The nutri-boost is not a complete feed either. If I can find out the info I will post it here I have a sack out in the feed shed now. It is to be added in a proportionate amount with the layer rations also.

Jeff
So do you need to feed different protein amounts to different breeds and sizes? Like would bantams and standards need different amounts of protein even if its the same breed?

So do you need to feed different protein amounts to different breeds and sizes? Like would bantams and standards need different amounts of protein even if its the same breed?

Not necessarily as most poultry eat their fill/needs by caloric intake another one of their internal nutrient level meters at work, here.

Heres the link to the info on Nutri-boost form earlier questions it a comparable feed to Manna Pros calf-manna formula just a good bit cheaper in price, LOL atleast by a third.
http://www.mifev.com.mx/media/ac4c77f329d547e6ffff805affffd524.pdf

Jeff

Last edited:
Not necessarily as most poultry eat their fill/needs by caloric intake another one of their internal nutrient level meters at work, here.

Heres the link to the info on Nutri-boost form earlier questions it a comparable feed to Manna Pros calf-manna formula just a good bit cheaper in price, LOL atleast by a third.
http://www.mifev.com.mx/media/ac4c77f329d547e6ffff805affffd524.pdf

Jeff
Thanks! I'll see if my feed store has it. So what percentage of protein do you feed your birds that you use for breeding?

Yes I agree Kuntrygirl
One should feed a minimum of 16% to expect decent layers to produce good and this should be the average protein numbers figured together as when you add in another type feed whether it be grains or the maintianer you have to average out the formula to still be 16% if you feed layer feed and grain you have to make sure the girls eat their daily amount of the higher protein feeds first or they will just fill up on their favorite feed (the grains) and not eat those ol cardboard like bland tasting pellets.
smile.png

Jeff
So I'm guessing they don't make an all in one feed with everything a chicken needs LOL

Yes I agree Kuntrygirl
One should feed a minimum of 16% to expect decent layers to produce good and this should be the average protein numbers figured together as when you add in another type feed whether it be grains or the maintianer you have to average out the formula to still be 16% if you feed layer feed and grain you have to make sure the girls eat their daily amount of the higher protein feeds first or they will just fill up on their favorite feed (the grains) and not eat those ol cardboard like bland tasting pellets. :)

Jeff

So I'm guessing they don't make an all in one feed with everything a chicken needs LOL

Well, I'm not sure but I was a loyal fan of Purina FlockRaiser (20%) protein. Both baby chicks and adults can eat it.

Thanks! I'll see if my feed store has it. So what percentage of protein do you feed your birds that you use for breeding?
It averages out to right at 20% its not super high in protein as after a certain amount (%)it just doesn't "stick" in their metabolic system (ends up as good/expensive fertilizer for the gardens) anyhow the main reason for the addition is to raise the nutrient/supplements/vitamins/minerals in average numbers.

If you are just feeding for eggs, a good brand all around layer formulated feed is sufficient with a side dish of calcium supplement/oyster shell or limestone grit. If you have them in a sandy type run area they will get enough grit for their gizzard(crawl) to work therefore oyster shell is just fine if not on a gritty type soil the you can buy limestone ground just sized for such and this is a double bird stone throw here with one stone. calcium and grit combo. Oyster shell alone will not serve as grit as it dissolves in the digestive juices too soon to do much work in the system.

Jeff

LOL. I was just thinking that myself. So, if I want my laying hens to have everything they need, what should I give them everyday. I know, as a newbie, I am asking for the A,B,C's, sort of like a prescription such as: 1/2 Lone Star Nutri-Boost, handful of Oyster Shells, and 1/2 _______, then I can add in the yogart, spinach and treats without being concerned. They eat every minute they are awake, so I guess they will eat it all. In other words, I've never seen them just standing around chatting. LOL They are all about pecking and eating all the time. They do have a fairly large free range area, maybe 20' X 30' or a bit more with a large oak tree. There's just 3 of them, but I am truly fascinated by them and would have lots more if the law allowed it.

Now I'm thinking I might switch to the 16% Poultry Conditioner and add the Nutri-boost to it and I'll still keep putting their little pile of oyster shells in each pen plus all the different scraps we give them
wee.gif

They're already fat and lay everyday and run around like little banshees LOL, so I'd like to see if there's any change with switching their food and giving them more nutrients
yippiechickie.gif

Well, I'm not sure but I was a loyal fan of Purina FlockRaiser (20%) protein. Both baby chicks and adults can eat it.

Yeah its a good all around feed sorta like universal I'd reckon just have to supplement calcium(for layers) for sure. I'd use it if I could find it around here in the pellets too I don't feed crumbles to anything but biddies. My birds waste too much searching for little morsels and then stomp it into the dirt and all the rest of the contents
sickbyc.gif
down there, makes for some more good expensive garden fertilizer LOL

Jeff

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom