"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Sassymygirl, Apr 10, 2009.

1. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Sometimes one will lay a soft shell egg or a thin shell egg and it can get broke and the hen naturally(supposed to) will eat such, It is when the egg eating becomes a habitual process that is when you have a problem. The reason a lot of people don't ever or very rarely ever get to find a soft shell egg(it actually happens more often than one may expect usually at night on the roost I've found) is because they usually don't get to hang around long (some more) of natures process of elimination and to the hen gets to put the nutrients back into their system instead of a varmint or other critter coming along and consuming it.

Jeff

2. PrimroseMom1

PrimroseMom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I think they would like the crumble because they have not liked the pellets at all and their baby feed was smaller, which they liked. Can you get laying feed in crumble?

3. PrimroseMom1

PrimroseMom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks. I wish I could use a conduit to share in the information in your head. Knowledge is a beautiful thing. I showly gain it. Emphasis on "slowly!"

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Yes, you can get laying crumble.

5. Chickentalk

Chickentalk Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2012
    Folsom, LA

Chris,

I hope to get out to take some new pictures of my flock this weekend. If you pm your email, I'll forward to you. Can't seem to post pictures from my IPAD to this website. They are really growing and different from the ones just posted.

Linda

6. mzstre

mzstre Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2011
    near Baton Rouge, LA
    Happy Halloween everyone!

Here's a nutrition question for everybody. I'd like to give my birds a little additional protein. I know that many people feed meat scraps and such to them without any problems. Is there any issue with feeding beef? My sister-in-law has a steak restaurant. They serve primarily filets and end up with a large amount of tenderloin ends that are too small to serve. The meat is very lean because all the fat has already been cut off and discarded so we get them to grind the ends for us to use for burgers and such. I have multiple 10 pound bags of ground beef in my freezer and it would be great if I could feed some to the birds before it gets freezer burn. What do you think?

7. Chris Herzog

Chris Herzog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Covington
    I'm posting this for Linda (Chickentalk). These are all Smooth Sizzles that she got from me a few months back.

Looking good Linda!!!!!

Thanks,
    Chris

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  8. mzstre

Oct 5, 2011
    near Baton Rouge, LA
    Well, Chris...you really got rid of some nice birds! No wonder you're having second thoughts. :)

9. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Sure its fine to feed them meat scraps I just wouldn't give them a great big gob of it at a time. Chickens are omnivores (carnivore+herbivore) their diet includes animal proteins(bugs lizards small snakes, worms ect..) and plant proteins (green stuff and seeds, cereal grains ect..) that's why they eat mice and corn both out in the corn crib LOL

Jeff

10. mzstre

Oct 5, 2011
    near Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks, Jeff! So how much do you think I could feed them? Really just thinking about giving it to the birds that are laying age...maybe 25 or 30. Ok to throw out a few handfuls a day?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by