"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Sassymygirl, Apr 10, 2009.

1. jt farm

jt farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Evangeline, Louisiana
    I hope everyone had a great Holloween and is enjoying the coolness.I like the 70s and 80s, they can keep everything everything below. I know I am slow especially when I see abbreviations. I just found out what DE is and what it does, So my next questions are :
    Does anyone use it and how well does it work?
    And where can the food grade formula be found?

I wish everyone a safe week and come on warmer temps!
    Joshua

2. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    I would like to see it a litttle cooler, Like it has been, especially when I have a lot of harvesting to do. You can work up a sweat, so to say, and still be comfortable. But that's just me! Good morning La-yers!

3. MaddiWilliams

MaddiWilliams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Elton, Louisiana
    Good morning everyone!! [​IMG] In a few minutes all the kiddos will be in the classroom, but I wanted to let y'all know that the Central Louisiana Poultry Club got their new ad posted on www.poultryshowcentral.com
    We are now actively looking for members and other poultry enthusiasts.
    Don't forget our meeting this Sunday at 4:30 on the facebook page!! [​IMG]

--

Also, I wanted to let y'all know about another project I am working on. I teach Special Education at Welsh Elementary and am one of the 4-H sponsors. This year for the first time we are partnering with the high school and creating a new program though 4-H, Wing Buddy.
    Our Wing Buddy program will allow the Elementary kids the opportunity to raise and show broilers with the high school's help. Each younger child will have 2 mentors. We have 13 Young kids and about 25-30 high school kids participating. (For our small school this is a large percentage!!)

The 4-H club will be paying for EVERYTHING for these children. Most have never been given this chance before, and for the first year all they have to do is show up and learn. This is where I wanted to ask for yalls thoughts....

I would like to do some type of fund-raising/sponsorship for Wing Buddies. Some of y'all probably have more experience in this area than me, any ideas of what I can do?

[​IMG]Here's our cost break down:
    45 birds
    Feed
    Shavings
    Show Entries

Since we get such a WONDERFUL price on birds through Jeff Davis Parish, we can complete this program on a budget of $500. 4-H and the high school have agreed to pay for all of this is they need to, but I don't want to drain their budget in the first year... I want this to be a permanent program. We have gotten a lot of feedback and I believe it will work. These kids WANT to do this. They will ALL be staying after school to tend to their animals and complete the 4-H poultry project.

I am personally going to sponsor part of this program because it's something I want to see grow and expand in so many ways.
    I would love some feedback and ideas from y'all.[​IMG]

4. Garilyn Bardash

Garilyn Bardash Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2012
    Lafayette/Carencro
    hello from sw louisiana, i live between carencro, lafayette and breaux bridge, welcome to chicken land!

5. Garilyn Bardash

Garilyn Bardash Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2012
    Lafayette/Carencro
    i got a huge bag for around $20 at the local feed store! hope you can find some at a feedstore near you!

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
  7. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Yes, I am enjoying the cool weather. I will take cool over hot and so will the animals.

Yes, I use DE and it is great!!!!

8. mzstre

mzstre Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2011
    near Baton Rouge, LA
  9. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

This is so awesome. I wish there were more people like you to work with our youth. Kudos to you! :thumbsup

10. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

What feed store did you get yours from?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by