"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Thanks! Is it not a good idea to get hens that are already laying?

Waste of money in the fall. They tend to molt and stop laying completely then when they start up again they will not have strong production for the winter with reduced daylight hours. There are tricks to getting them to lay better threw the winter but that is their natural rest time and if you force it it can reduce their laying years and exhaust the hen. I suggest to get pullet chicks for fall, hens if you start in early spring. Also, if you get chicks there is less of a risk of catching something from the owners farm.

I also found that my chickens love collard greens. Also Swiss Chard, Broccoli leaves and Kale have been favorites of my chickens.

They really don't bother any of my flowers or perennials. Actually none that I can think of. That is kind of strange now that I think about it. They mostly eat grass, weeds, a few of the herbs, but not many and the greens that I mentioned above.

Last edited:
I have given up on growing kale! Fat rabbits come out from nowhere and eat it all up before my chickens even have a chance to know that it is there.

You did say your ginger was purple and white right? If thats the case I'll trade you for that I don't have any that color. I f I've mentioned any thing else you or any one else is intrested in let me know. I would trade something else for the hibiscus. Does your ginger have a sent? I forgot to mention I have ortamental small banana and big bananas that fruit too. I have too much work to do.

I haven't noticed a scent. The flowers are pink/purple. The flowers are stunning. They are sort of large. When the flowers are gone they are gone. The blooms aren't around that long. Then it is large dark green leaves.

This weather needs to stop! I went to the store today in a tank top and was sweating when I got in there. Not 15 min later I leave freezing cold and it has started to rain. I checked on everyone to find my chicks in the grow out pen pecking at the cage on the heat lamp like turn on already! They are fully feathered and shouldn't need heat as they have been outside for some time already but I turned it on anyway. They are now basking under the lamp while all my big girls are out frolicking in the rain...meaning they will need heat tonight too because they are soaked to the bone. Soo...Does anyone know if the quail need heat as well? They are laying and sheltered from the rain but one end of their coop is open to the weather. They are all still dry, I just don't know how well they do in cold.

Sounds good let me know what you want of mine to trade for.

Did you say you were thining irises? If so, I would love some. I gave Celie and Cracked some Hidden Ginger. Do you want some baby no-thorn black berry and bright red hibiscus (it comes up each year as tall shoots with marijuana looking leaves (I accused my cousin of giving me marijuana plants, seriously, but it's not) and big beautiful bright red flowers. It blooms a lot. Cut down each winter and it comes back. It's not a bush or climber like some hibiscus. It's unique.

Last edited:
Did you say you were thining irises? If so, I would love some. I gave Celie and Cracked some Hidden Ginger. Do you want some baby no-thorn black berry and bright red hibiscus (it comes up each year as tall shoots with marijuana looking leaves (I accused my cousin of giving me marijuana plants, seriously, but it's not) and big beautiful bright red flowers. It blooms a lot. Cut down each winter and it comes back. It's not a bush or climber like some hibiscus. It's unique.

I have 3 colors and two different types of Iris. I thought I was trading for hidden ginger. If you don't have it take the iris and you can give me the ginger next year.

Back
Top Bottom