"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

frow.gif
It has been a long time sense my last posting. I will be leaving here, Terrell, Texas on the 20th, and start heading to Shreveport. I have a couple of stops on the way. I will probably be getting there early. I am so excited.

Were I am now I have developed a reputation in the fowl world. I had give some scratch to a duck family after they became upset because their ducklings had gotten stuck in with my chickens, as the raided their food dish... Then one thing lead to another.

You can see they have grown, no longer able to get into my chicken pen.

Then a new single duck showed up, and she was picking at the ducklings. The next day there she was again at my door, this time not alone.

It is a good thing I am leaving in a week. I could end up with even more ducks.... And chickens. The farm next door to the park have even more fowl that haven't found me yet.
lol.png

Good luck & be safe on the final leg of your trip! And stay away from the fowl next door, lol! You're going to end up needing a semi-trailer to haul them all!

Hello everyone! I just finished a very large knitting project and am taking a break to check back in here. I didn't know Petrus made their own feed. I will have to check it out one day. Sometimes we go to the Alexandria Zoo because it is nicer than ours, so we'll make a day trip to the zoo and the feed store. :D

My girls are a little upset at the moment as well. I haven't let them out of the run in two days (or three? when was that rain?) They will probably go out later today, but they let their feelings be known any time we are outside! They're spoiled, too. When we let them out into the tractor, they will all crowd into the shade. Even if there is only a tiny speck of shade. All five of them will crowd into the tiny spot! They are so funny. I wish I could let them run free in our yard without a tractor, but I do not trust my neighbors and I can't catch the girls if they are determined to get away. We figured out the other day that the son of one of my neighbors is probably the one who hacked up our pumpkin plants. He isn't very nice at all. We put a lock on our fence, now. I wish we could have privacy fences instead!

Eek, wiggly baby on my lap, trying to bang the keyboard!

Also, we have reached the point where we MUST build a new coop. I went out to check on them before bed one night, and all of them were squished in very tightly on the roost. My husband and I can't build anything, so we will be watching a lot of youtube videos! We'll have to buy "real" tools, too. haha

I think we will make it extra big this time, in case I get the itch for more chickens. Also so that we do not have to build again when these stop laying. We'll keep them on as pets, but we will still get more for eggs.

Alright, back to my yarn! I still have baby booties, cowls, hats, mitts, and many other things to make. PLUS, I have to finish making all of our Halloween costumes. We will be going as Paw Patrol, by request (demand) of my three year old.

all sounds great! We need pics!

What do y'all use for mites/lice? I have a pyrethrin spray I used before, but I wasn't totally pleased with the results. I saw quite a few lice on my sick girl and I'm afraid to spray her with these temps, even with the heat lamp. But I'm sure lice aren't helping whatever's wrong with her, and may be the whole problem?

I know that if I didn't go to auctions or respond to bookoo ads I wouldn't have so many problems... But I've always been really good at nursing sick/weak animals so I'm willing to care for the castoffs. And auctions are just so darn exciting!
big_smile.png
The one in Kinder is like a chicken rodeo.

Never dealt with them so I'm no use but if you do a search I know several things will pop up.

frow.gif
It has been a long time sense my last posting. I will be leaving here, Terrell, Texas on the 20th, and start heading to Shreveport. I have a couple of stops on the way. I will probably be getting there early. I am so excited.

Were I am now I have developed a reputation in the fowl world. I had give some scratch to a duck family after they became upset because their ducklings had gotten stuck in with my chickens, as the raided their food dish... Then one thing lead to another.

You can see they have grown, no longer able to get into my chicken pen.

Then a new single duck showed up, and she was picking at the ducklings. The next day there she was again at my door, this time not alone.

It is a good thing I am leaving in a week. I could end up with even more ducks.... And chickens. The farm next door to the park have even more fowl that haven't found me yet.
lol.png
Have a wonderful trip. Be safe.
hugs.gif

I was trying to respond to your thread.  Sorry for the multiple posts.  My chickens love yogurt and ate it even if they felt bad.  It is easy to put meds in if you need to.  Hope they get better soon. 

Thanks! I'll try that too. Yesterday she did pretty well but today I really dropped the ball. Her friends came to visit and she was so distressed when they left that I let her out for a bit this afternoon. I heard another hen (her buddy) cough, so now they're both isolated. I was going to see if my feed store had tylan (or tyvan?) but I didn't make it in time.

She really put up a fight when I tried to catch her and I was really impressed! And, you guessed it, I had grabbed the wrong hen.

I went ahead and sprayed their vents; poor things were absolutely infested with lice. Hopefully the pyrethrin will clear it up and they'll both feel better. And I'm hoping that having a buddy will boost the spirits of the sicker hen. I hate keeping a chicken alone.

I'm super busy with the 5k right now, and tomorrow I'm taking the kids to see the Jake and Sophia pirate/princess thing at the civic center in LC. There's no school Friday so we're staying the night. There's a big craft fair this weekend, too. So it may be Friday night or Saturday before I can get everyone else sprayed.

Thanks! I'll try that too. Yesterday she did pretty well but today I really dropped the ball. Her friends came to visit and she was so distressed when they left that I let her out for a bit this afternoon. I heard another hen (her buddy) cough, so now they're both isolated. I was going to see if my feed store had tylan (or tyvan?) but I didn't make it in time.

She really put up a fight when I tried to catch her and I was really impressed! And, you guessed it, I had grabbed the wrong hen.

I went ahead and sprayed their vents; poor things were absolutely infested with lice. Hopefully the pyrethrin will clear it up and they'll both feel better. And I'm hoping that having a buddy will boost the spirits of the sicker hen. I hate keeping a chicken alone.

I'm super busy with the 5k right now, and tomorrow I'm taking the kids to see the Jake and Sophia pirate/princess thing at the civic center in LC. There's no school Friday so we're staying the night. There's a big craft fair this weekend, too. So it may be Friday night or Saturday before I can get everyone else sprayed.
Jake and Sophia.... woohoo..... I know them well.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom