"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

My oldest insisted that she only wanted Bantam Red Cochins for her 4-H project. It took us a bit to find some that were good quality to start with. But we did manage to get some for us to start her project with. We plan on crossing them with Blacks to improve their body type to help bring them closer to the standard. These that we have are SUPER friendly and she really likes them so far. Now we are just keeping careful watch on their nutrition and care until they are bigger and we can decide which ones she is going to use for breeding. Here is the biggest little roo. She named him "Big Brother" and he loves to perch on her shoulder. We are happy to bring this project to our state and hope it lasts for a long time.

My oldest insisted that she only wanted Bantam Red Cochins for her 4-H project. It took us a bit to find some that were good quality to start with. But we did manage to get some for us to start her project with. We plan on crossing them with Blacks to improve their body type to help bring them closer to the standard. These that we have are SUPER friendly and she really likes them so far. Now we are just keeping careful watch on their nutrition and care until they are bigger and we can decide which ones she is going to use for breeding. Here is the biggest little roo. She named him "Big Brother" and he loves to perch on her shoulder. We are happy to bring this project to our state and hope it lasts for a long time.
Still love that chair you should make more things like it and sell them. Pam

Good evening all. Hope everyone is doing well :)
I've been steadily working on the bird house. So thought ya'll would like some pics.
I rented a trencher yesterday to run power and water.
Was up at 3:00 a.m. this morning running wire for lights and receptacles.
Chicks were coming soon and I had a suspicion they'd arrive a day before the ETA date.

I was worried the birds would get to much wind in the winter so I decided to put tin on as siding on this side of the house.
The vents have hardware cloth on them. I'm planning to make removable covers (tin with 2x4 frame) for the vents That can easily be taken off in Spring. I still need to build doors for each end. I'm not planning to build doors for the three openings on the tin side as of yet. I'm not sure yet how I'm going to build the run. I've been a bit lost on how to design and what to do. I'm just feeling it out as I go. I hope putting the tin on wasn't a mistake. I think there will be plenty of ventilation in the summer months with all the windows open.

Here's the section I turned into the brooder. I guess it is now a designated brooder/broody hen area. I'll be cutting in a chicken door on the backside and probably building a designated run. It is fully pred proof with 1/2" cloth buried 12" deep. It's getting a little cool at night so I put the plastic on the walls to cut the drafts.

I'm glad I got started early this morning. Set the brooder up using some panels that were from a job that were never used. It is 7'x7'
Got the call from the post office this morning!
Thirty barred rocks :) Straight run. Ideal sent two extra chicks so there's 32 running around in the pic.
So far they are all healthy and doing great. Eating,drinking and napping.

I don't know why this pic is sideways.

So I've never heard back from the guy that was going to send me the Buckeyes. He is MIA. Won't answer my calls or call me back. I'm beginning to think something has happened with him. I was really hoping to get started with the Buckeyes. Oh well. I hope the guy is ok.
Anyhoo, this is where I'm at. My first chicks are here and healthy :)

Cheers everyone!

Cody

Good evening all. Hope everyone is doing well :) I've been steadily working on the bird house. So thought ya'll would like some pics. I rented a trencher yesterday to run power and water. Was up at 3:00 a.m. this morning running wire for lights and receptacles. Chicks were coming soon and I had a suspicion they'd arrive a day before the ETA date. I was worried the birds would get to much wind in the winter so I decided to put tin on as siding on this side of the house. The vents have hardware cloth on them. I'm planning to make removable covers (tin with 2x4 frame) for the vents That can easily be taken off in Spring. I still need to build doors for each end. I'm not planning to build doors for the three openings on the tin side as of yet. I'm not sure yet how I'm going to build the run. I've been a bit lost on how to design and what to do. I'm just feeling it out as I go. I hope putting the tin on wasn't a mistake. I think there will be plenty of ventilation in the summer months with all the windows open. Here's the section I turned into the brooder. I guess it is now a designated brooder/broody hen area. I'll be cutting in a chicken door on the backside and probably building a designated run. It is fully pred proof with 1/2" cloth buried 12" deep. It's getting a little cool at night so I put the plastic on the walls to cut the drafts. I'm glad I got started early this morning. Set the brooder up using some panels that were from a job that were never used. It is 7'x7' Got the call from the post office this morning! Thirty barred rocks :) Straight run. Ideal sent two extra chicks so there's 32 running around in the pic. So far they are all healthy and doing great. Eating,drinking and napping. I don't know why this pic is sideways. So I've never heard back from the guy that was going to send me the Buckeyes. He is MIA. Won't answer my calls or call me back. I'm beginning to think something has happened with him. I was really hoping to get started with the Buckeyes. Oh well. I hope the guy is ok. Anyhoo, this is where I'm at. My first chicks are here and healthy :) Cheers everyone! Cody
SO CUTE

What a cute chicken! Love the chair, too.

Back
Top Bottom