"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

New to this website and to the chicken community. I'm in the beginning process of building a chicken coop and finding a good place to acquire some chicks. Being in south Louisiana, is there anything ya'll can recommend for my chicken coop? I'm worried about the heat and humidity down here and not sure if I need to build my coop specially to accommodate the heat. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate!

Welcome to your new addiction! The only 12 step program we offer here is another dozen eggs! :)
As for the coop...ventilation, ventilation, ventilation...but not drafts. It took me a while to figure out the difference between the two, but basically allow as much vented area ABOVE the chickens roosts level as possible. I put mine the same level as the roost and I'm gonna have to make some changes.
Oh, and we like to see lots of photos here.

New to this website and to the chicken community. I'm in the beginning process of building a chicken coop and finding a good place to acquire some chicks. Being in south Louisiana, is there anything ya'll can recommend for my chicken coop? I'm worried about the heat and humidity down here and not sure if I need to build my coop specially to accommodate the heat. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate!

I'm is south east La. I have several rare breeds.as for your coop hardware cloth is your friend. I also have olive eggers and Easter eggers. Are you more interested in egg layers i.e. Meat birds ? Dual purpoise heritage breeds are the way to go In my opinion? They are good layers and good to eat. A heritage breed will lay eggs for years. One fron a hatchery will lay everyday for 2 to maybe 3 years if your lucky . Are you interested in a certain color eggs? Blue, green , brown,chocalote, and cream or all colores? How many are you planing on having? Pam

Hi neighbor! So excited to see another member! So, my husband and I have a great back yard flock. Love our coop! It's simple, easy to clean, and plenty of room. It is situated under a drake elm. In the summer there is lots of shade and in the winter, it gets sunshine because the tree drops its leaves. The biggest suggestion would be to have a way to close the ventilation at the top for storms. We did a make shift barrier for the last couple to keep the side ways rain out. It worked fine, but it could be more pleasing to the eye. The girls love their long out door (in the wired in area) roost. It was an add on. I see them taking frequent naps on it during the day. It is a good spot to protect them from predators. Also, make your coop bigger than you think you will need. If you plan on getting 6 chickens, plan for 12. We wanted to add on to our coop after about 6 months. They are addicting! There is a small farm out of Chackbay, LA (just north of Thibodaux) who is hatching right now. He has Marans, Orphingtons, Delawares, and a couple of other breeds. There is a couple of farms out your way as well. There are a few Facebook groups for LA farming communities that you can look into. Good luck! I hope this helped some! Oh! My favorite is a Rhode Island Red as of right now. Getting a few new members for the flock this year, so it might change. Great temperament.

Welcome to your new addiction! The only 12 step program we offer here is another dozen eggs! :)
As for the coop...ventilation, ventilation, ventilation...but not drafts. It took me a while to figure out the difference between the two, but basically allow as much vented area ABOVE the chickens roosts level as possible. I put mine the same level as the roost and I'm gonna have to make some changes.
Oh, and we like to see lots of photos here.

Thanks for the good point of higher level ventilation!!! I had seen some people build 2 or 3 wall coops to accommodate the heat down here but that just didn't make sense to me especially with the high winds we get from tropical storms. I can't tell you how many time the plastic bucket with my basil plant has blown right off my porch.
Like I said I'm in the very very beginning haha basically my husband agreed to help with this crazy idea and my landlord gave me the ok to build a coop. When the build begins I will most definitely have pictures to share!

Im not 100% sure what I want. I know I want a decent egg supply with a variety of egg colors and breeds that can tolerate the heat well. My biggest fear is that they will all die from the heat once summer gets here. My husband wants a blue silky and my daughter wants a red frizzle Cochin bantam because those breeds look cool. I'll have to look at the Rhode Island Red does it produce a good supply of eggs?
As of right now, I plan on getting 4-5 to start off with. I'm building my coop to accommodate 15-20 that way I have growing room AND so they have plenty of room to move around. We don't have a fenced in yard so they'll be cage bound all the time. Oh is this a problem for them??? I don't want to get chickens if they'll be sad haha

Im not 100% sure what I want. I know I want a decent egg supply with a variety of egg colors and breeds that can tolerate the heat well. My biggest fear is that they will all die from the heat once summer gets here. My husband wants a blue silky and my daughter wants a red frizzle Cochin bantam because those breeds look cool. I'll have to look at the Rhode Island Red does it produce a good supply of eggs?
As of right now, I plan on getting 4-5 to start off with. I'm building my coop to accommodate 15-20 that way I have growing room AND so they have plenty of room to move around. We don't have a fenced in yard so they'll be cage bound all the time. Oh is this a problem for them??? I don't want to get chickens if they'll be sad haha

I love EEs for colored eggs and friendliness. Mine are chatty and like to be told how pretty they are. :love

Don't get too worried about heat issues. As long as they have a shaded spot and plenty of water most do just fine.
Popular breeds for first timers are often easter eggers, Orpingtons, wyndottes, reds...there's just soooo many!

Don't get too worried about heat issues. As long as they have a shaded spot and plenty of water most do just fine.
Popular breeds for first timers are often easter eggers, Orpingtons, wyndottes, reds...there's just soooo many!

Okay I guess I'm just being unnecessarily worried haha. do those breeds have a good disposition? I have a 7 year old and almost 2 year old and ideally I want them to be involved but don't want to have a breed that's more likely to be grumpy and scare the kids hahahaha! My 7 yr old scares easily.

Back
Top Bottom