"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Good morning all! I hope everyone had a good Easter. The weather was absolutely stunning up here but my aunt in BR told me that it rained all day yesterday down there. One problem with country life is no internet hence the delayed Easter wishes.

Thank you for the ideas on incubating the eggs that will be here Wednesday. One question, my dry humidity is 48%. Is that too low for the first week or so? I've read that I need to take the humidity up for the last part of the incubation to compensate for the lower water available in the egg. Some of the sites suggest 60%. Does that sound about right?

I think that someone (Pam?) mentioned allowing the eggs to sit for 3 days after laying. I assume that since these will be at least 3 days old by the time I get them that maybe only 1 day would be ok?

Sorry for all the questions. Some of the information on the threads seem to contradict. Thanks!

What your humidity needs to be at will change depending on where you live, what incubator you have, and even what room of the house you place it in. In my personal experience for almost all my breeds, however, is to have a low humidity around 40%-35% during incubation. On day 18 when you remove them from the turner or stop turning them by hand, I increase my humidity to 60% or more. Since our climate is so humid, I had a lot of trouble with the eggs not losing enough water during incubation. This caused the chicks to grow too large and be unable to hatch. I ended up with fully formed chicks that didn't do anything after day 18, but would hatch if I assisted them. If the chicks did hatch, they would be gunky and dirty with bits of the shell attached. The high humidity at hatch time insures they do not stick to the shell or dry out while they are hatching, so your numbers sound right.

Last edited:
Hey Pam.
So far no more off tasting eggs. I had a hen die around the time some were tasting bad so wonder if she had something going on.

My Bieles range down to my house now and I sometimes give them unsalted peanuts. Now their eggs are tasting like peanut butter. :lau (kidding)
I give mine sunflower seeds as a treat they go wild. Glad everything is ok and your doing well. Pam

Good morning all!  I hope everyone had a good Easter.  The weather was absolutely stunning up here but my aunt in BR told me that it rained all day yesterday down there.  One problem with country life is no internet hence the delayed Easter wishes.

Thank you for the ideas on incubating the eggs that will be here Wednesday.  One question, my dry humidity is 48%.  Is that too low for the first week or so?  I've read that I need to take the humidity up for the last part of the incubation to compensate for the lower water available in the egg.  Some of the sites suggest 60%.   Does that sound about right?

I think that someone (Pam?) mentioned allowing the eggs to sit for 3 days after laying.  I assume that since these will be at least 3 days old by the time I get them that maybe only 1 day would be ok?

Sorry for all the questions.  Some of the information on the threads seem to contradict.  Thanks!

:( it did indeed rain all day down here yesterday, but today Fri, and Sat are all beautiful so i hope the Easter activities were enjoyed Sat at least. Made a good day for sitting in church though.

:lau lots of the info conflicts (dont appologize for your questions!) and almost every single person has different exact parameters i generally like my humidity a little lower (25-35%) than what your getting (cant control the outdoors tho and storms give the bator a boost) but i must say that you Do understand the concept correctly in that at "lockdown" the hatching needs higher humidity (i use 50-70% whas important here is you Do Not want to see condensation on the windows, thats too high, could cause drowning.)

What breed are you getting? Some breeds need higher or lower humidity at any given time. For instance smaller, pourous eggs can loose too much water at too low of humidity, and Black Copper Marans eggs are super thick shelled and huge, so they have problems retaining Too Much water and need Super low humidity.

It was me who mentioned the ph change at 3 days of age and i dont think its Absolutly neccesary at that. I believe your plans fall very much into normal procedure, im just trying to include all the info i can.

:fl :fl Best Wishes!! :fl :fl

Morning y'all! :frow

I got to visit with Mrs. Pam yesterday when I picked up some eggs :)weee) and I realized I haven't shared as many pics here as other places! So brace yourselves. :lol:

Good morning all.  My Icelandic eggs are on track to be delivered tomorrow.  I'll let them sit for 1 day and then put them in the incubator.  Thank you for all the advice!

Happy hatching! I hope it all goes well! It's all a learning curve, but it's an adventure in the process. Keep notes to remind yourself what works and what doesn't. I use the hatch a batch app to help me keep track of everything and there is a place to keep your notes on each hatch as well. It also sends reminders to your phone when to candle and when to set eggs in the Hatcher. I'm eggcited for you! ;)

Morning y'all! :frow

I got to visit with Mrs. Pam yesterday when I picked up some eggs :)weee) and I realized I haven't shared as many pics here as other places! So brace yourselves. :lol:

Great pics! It was great to see you again and meet your parents and your children. Love seeing you come anytime. If I go to Huston I will stop by. Pam

Omg. The little boy and that chicken are so cute! I've been seeing those chickens love them! What breed is that exactly? I'd like to research a little and maybe add to my little trio

Back
Top Bottom