"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

So I ordered by first set of hatching eggs. Can't wait for them to arrive. They should be here this week. I could not wait to try that chapter on raising chickens so couldn't wait till spring. I ordered from Meyer's Hatchery. It was an assortment of six since this is my first try. If they all hatch then ok, if some hatch that's ok too. I am setting up the incubator in the next couple of days. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions for this newbie?

So I ordered by first set of hatching eggs. Can't wait for them to arrive. They should be here this week. I could not wait to try that chapter on raising chickens so couldn't wait till spring. I ordered from Meyer's Hatchery. It was an assortment of six since this is my first try. If they all hatch then ok, if some hatch that's ok too. I am setting up the incubator in the next couple of days. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions for this newbie?

Yes ma'am i am a constant hatcher. I have 13 babies right now from Halloween. Shipped eggs are considered a good hatch if you get 50%. The post really scrambles them. I recommend setting up the incubator Now and putting at least one calibrated thermometer in there to be sure it is actually the temp that the display is reading. Very seldom do they actually stay set at the manufacturer's calibration any little knock can knock that off.

Then the display will say its right but its really cooking the eggs. I lost a whole set of duck eggs to learn this valuable information. Also set that incubator in a place where the temp stays as even and steady as possible. The temp fluctuations are more detrimental than the slightly too high or slighty too low long term temps.

So I set the eggs yesterday because of trying to get the temperature and humidity correct. Humidity was a big issue since I was not taking into account that we already have a lot of humidity. When I set the bator up and used the recommended amount of water the think was a 98% humidity and I like to fell out Used a damp, very little damp paper towel in the bator and now things seem to be leveling ok. Should have, hopefully, baby chicks with a hatch date of 12/1.

So the set of eggs I did receive from Meyers were as follows:
1 Black Australarp
1 Easter Egger
1 Blue Andalusian
1 Bared Plymouth Rock
1 Rhode Island Red
& 1 Buff Orphington
So excited with the assortment I did get.
Trying to stay away from the bator as much as possible and not handle too much. Just keep checking on the temp and humidity and making sure eggs are turning, even though I have an automatic turner.

Yes ma'am i am a constant hatcher. I have 13 babies right now from Halloween. Shipped eggs are considered a good hatch if you get 50%. The post really scrambles them. I recommend setting up the incubator Now and putting at least one calibrated thermometer in there to be sure it is actually the temp that the display is reading. Very seldom do they actually stay set at the manufacturer's calibration any little knock can knock that off.
Must be so rewarding for you to see them hatch! Definately send pointers my way please! ;)

I have been hatching shipped eggs for a while now. 5th batch this year are set to go on lockdown on 11/22. 1 dozen bielefelder breed. I have been using the "Dry Incubation" method for the last 4 times. I maintain 20-25% humidity till lockdown then punch it up to around 60-70%
Excellent hatch rate. 80ish% so far.
ALWAYS let shipped eggs sit still with big end up at room temp for 24 hours!!! (in the same room as incubator) i let mine sit ontop of the incubator during this settling time.
Good luck and keep us posted!

Oh I am glad to see your humidity started lower Darrin. My incubator was high in humidity at fist since living here in the South and though all was straightened out. Then the weather changed and gets cooler and not I keep adding waters and the humidity levels out and then tends to go back down to 25-35%. I was worried getting too low but didn't want to increase too much. Figures better lower than too high and try to get lowered. Just worried now to keep humidity up around lock down.
I did let them sit but for a couple of days trying to make sure bator was ok. I have it in my closet on the floor with towel snuggled to the bator. LOL! I did let them sit in the same space before adding them so I am glad to know the process so far has been ok.
Thanks so much for all the advise.;)

Back
Top Bottom