"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Quote:
Well I am in Pearl River, and I don't mind traveling. I like the idea of it being in Alexandria because my Sister doesn't live far from there and we might be able to stay the night. I don't really care what time of year it is, as long as I have a few weeks notice I will be there.
smile.png
I have never been to one before...does it usually require a ton of space? This is exciting!

Terri, I think Alexandria would be a nice central location. It's about an hour and a half from me, and I'm good with it. Is the LSUA ag center a covered area? That would definitely work. Or the other arena would work too, I think. I just think covered would be better in case of rain, and if we would have it in Summertime, it would provide shade. You know how hot it gets. Or we could wait till Fall. I know it's months away, but it would definitely be cooler. What do you all think?

Oh, and I definitely love this little cool front that came through. Clothes done, eggs into the hatcher, I'm heading outside now.......

Alexandria is about 200 miles 3 to 1/2 hours from me. I bet I can talk hubby into taking a little trip since we have traveled there before for his arborist CEU's. he has to have for his abor licence. Fall would be best with me because of our business.

We also have a florida parish arena here in Amite, Tangiaphahoa parish, also if anyone is interested in this neck of the woods.
smile.png

http://www.fparena.com/about.html

Both areas are covered (O yeah, you bet I was thinking about "Plan B" in case of rain)! or else I would've said just have it at our place - but no place to go if it rains, house isn't that big. Part of the Ag Center is air conditioned too, I think. I'll go check it out Sat - have to go that direction to the co-op to buy chicken feed anyway.

The Amite Florida arena looks nice too!

Joz what kind of chickens are you looking for?

I can only have a few chickens, as I'm in NOLA proper, with neighbors 3' away on both sides (have funny rear yard, tho, so there's enough room for a coop and garden). Limiting myself to 5, one each of the following, HENS ONLY (my neighbors would revolt if I brought home a roo, tho I secretly want a li'l banty roo for all my full-sized ladies):

Speckled Sussex
Polish (color unimportant, bouffant required)
Welsumer (or other dark brown egg layer)
Easter Egger (or other blue/green egg layer)
Australorp or BuffOrp (I'm waffling between the two)... (or Wyandotte, or Jersey Giant... I don't know.)

I'm hoping that they all lay a slightly different colored egg. My concern is between the Sussex and the 'Orp, whether they'll both lay normal brown eggs or if the Sussex will lay a lighter brown/tinted egg.

Frankly I don't need all 5 birds, and am hoping that if I start with 5 and have some horrid problem I'll at least have 3 remaining. We do have Raccoons around, and I work all day and may not notice an illness in time to treat. And if I can keep all 5 going, the neighbors can have some eggs and poop for putting up with my madness.
smile.png

Last edited:
Well guys, this is probably not a subject any of us care to think about, but I think it may be necessary. The latest hurricane forecasts for this year are calling for an above average season. I didn't have chickens the last time we had to evacuate, so I'm clueless as to how or what you do. I by no means want to call for doom and gloom, however I do want to be prepared. So, IF we were to have to evacuate, what do we do? I'm hoping and praying that it's not an issue...........

Quote:
You're so lucky!! I hate it and now with having the chickens, I'm quite concerned and feel it would be a good idea to have some sort of plan worked out. Here's to hoping I never have to use it!! Evacuated for Rita in 05 and once in 08 for Gustav (which was a total waste of time and money as it didn't come anywhere near us). We stayed for Ike and ended up being trapped on our FLOODED street for 2 days. We were prepared so it wasn't too bad. After the water reced, we had about 1000 or so dead fish in our yard. We have a 2 1/2 acre stocked pond that just couldn't handle all the salt water. It was quite stinky!!!!!
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom