"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Are you referring to L.A. (Los Angeles) or LA (Louisiana)? this thread is the Louisiana La-yers thread

Jeff
Jeff, I mean Louisiana. I know my location says San Diego but we will be moving home soon to Southern Louisiana
smile.png

I am in baton rouge and wonder the same thing. What I looked up said 3 chickens no roosters. (not interested in a roo so that worked) but I'm on 10 acres...no subdivide. I need to find something, anything on if that's per a certain acreage or just a city rule of 3 period...the latter would suck lol I will be searching BYC later for it.

I am in baton rouge and wonder the same thing. What I looked up said 3 chickens no roosters. (not interested in a roo so that worked) but I'm on 10 acres...no subdivide. I need to find something, anything on if that's per a certain acreage or just a city rule of 3 period...the latter would suck lol I will be searching BYC later for it.
We will be living on the outskirts of Zachary, so we will also fall in the Baton Rouge codes. It seems a little silly that they would restrict us to three on such a large amount of land.

Jeff, I mean Louisiana. I know my location says San Diego but we will be moving home soon to Southern Louisiana
smile.png

Oh Ok well sometimes we have on occasion L.A.-ers come aboard here "lost", LOL
Some one will come along here soon with more input than can give ya'll I live out in the boonies in the "no mans land" of La. so we get away with a lot where the city folks are more constrained of doing so.

Good to have ya'll aboard here in the La-yers coop, have a blast here LOL

Jeff

Last edited:
Imnew myself, but will be looking for something more concrete. I do know of many people with about 10 hens each in baton rouge, they got neighbors to sign off...I want to know the laws and abide by them, I'd hate all our work to be for not...but 3 chickens just aren't quite enough for our egg eating household...

Hi everyone! I'm new here to BYC and was just wondering if someone would help clarify the LA laws on owning chickens. I get that in a subdivision/less than one acre of land that you can't have more than three chickens. I am assuming that if I live down a country backroad with around 3 acres of land I can have around 10 and still be within the law? Any insight would be greatly appreciated, I really hate calling offices and hoping that the information the people are giving me is accurate! 
Welcome!! I too live out in the boonies, so I'm not much help with that. I'm sure you could call the city hall and ask if that law is enforced where you will be living. If you are on that much land, I wouldn't think so. We pretty much have whatever we want out here in the sticks tho. Lol.

Here's a link to the ordinances. Basically, if you are in a subdivision and under 1 acre, you are restricted to 3 hens. If you are between 1 and 2 acres, I read it as no number on the hens. If you are over 2 acres, have fun!! LOL.

If your property is listed as a rural tract, restrictions don't apply as you are not in a subdivision.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/baton-rouge-louisiana-chicken-ordinance

Oh, and if you are in a subdivision, make sure you read the additional comments which will give more info on coop placement. :)

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I'm new here to BYC and was just wondering if someone would help clarify the LA laws on owning chickens. I get that in a subdivision/less than one acre of land that you can't have more than three chickens. I am assuming that if I live down a country backroad with around 3 acres of land I can have around 10 and still be within the law? Any insight would be greatly appreciated, I really hate calling offices and hoping that the information the people are giving me is accurate! 

I live in Denham Springs, very close to Zachary. I am in a different parish though. If you are outside the city limits I think you'll be just fine. I have 16 chickens on 6 acres and haven't had any problems. Welcome to louisiana and good luck!

Last edited:
Here's a link to the ordinances. Basically, if you are in a subdivision and under 1 acre, you are restricted to 3 hens. If you are between 1 and 2 acres, I read it as no number on the hens. If you are over 2 acres, have fun!! LOL.

If your property is listed as a rural tract, restrictions don't apply as you are not in a subdivision.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/baton-rouge-louisiana-chicken-ordinance

Oh, and if you are in a subdivision, make sure you read the additional comments which will give more info on coop placement. :)
Thank you so much! I was thinking the same thing, but wanted opinions to make sure I wasn't just reading what I wanted it to say. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom