"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Morning everyone!

Lemon - prayers for your MIL.
Julie - If I don't get a white pea from Terri, I will happily take one off your hands. :0)
Terri - So glad he didn't get far when he got out! Whew! How beat up are you?

We are battling bobcats lately. About a month ago some neighbors found a very large bobcat in their livestock pen and killed it. I'm thinking it must've been a momma. Two weeks ago we were out doing our final rounds with the birds before going in for dinner and looked up to see a young bobcat sitting on our pallet stack maybe 50 feet away. Still daylight. He didn't care that we were there at all. We did get that one. Last night I went out around 9:30 to check on the chicks I just moved from the brooder to a pen. Naturally they haven't figured out how to get up in the coop. As I was standing there I caught eyes in my flashlight beam just the other side of my back row of chicken coops. Yep...another young bobcat. Hubby came out but it had moved off into the tree line. He got sight of it again and took a shot, but we couldn't find it. I don't know if we got it or not. It worries me now to think about being out there in the day time. They've all just snuck onto our property all of a sudden and all young ones. Thus, my thinking that the neighbors killed the mother.

I lost my oldest hen this evening. She wasn't doing well the past couple of days, just sort of laying around & not as active as usual -- she was 9 years old. A splash Rock. I hatched her years ago. She was a good hen. She went peacefully & I think, had a good life.

We had one of the peas get out last night -- I went to lock the hens up & found Burtis on top of the pea pen!! - he was perched on the end beam so I was able to walk up to him & grab his feet & then bring him to the ground & pin his wings. I have a few scratches & bruises but he is back safe inside & Jim & my Dad spent this morning reinforcing & tightening the wire over the top of the pen -- a piece had worked loose & that's where he had gotten out, we think - it was a fluke. I"m so glad it was my yearling & not one of the older mature males! They are a real handful when they want to be.

Have a good night all, time to go to bed here!

Terri, I am so sorry to hear this news. :hit :hugs I know that she was a very happy hen that was well taken care of. I know that she enjoyed all of her years at your place. Remember the good times with her.

Glad that you all caught the pea. I bet that was scary. I hope that enjoyed his short furlough into the wild over there. Will probably be his last time.

Morning everyone!

Lemon - prayers for your MIL.
Julie - If I don't get a white pea from Terri, I will happily take one off your hands.  :0)
Terri - So glad he didn't get far when he got out!  Whew!  How beat up are you?

We are battling bobcats lately.  About a month ago some neighbors found a very large bobcat in their livestock pen and killed it.  I'm thinking it must've been a momma.  Two weeks ago we were out doing our final rounds with the birds before going in for dinner and looked up to see a young bobcat sitting on our pallet stack maybe 50 feet away.  Still daylight.  He didn't care that we were there at all.   We did get that one.  Last night I went out around 9:30 to check on the chicks I just moved from the brooder to a pen.  Naturally they haven't figured out how to get up in the coop.  As I was standing there I caught eyes in my flashlight beam just the other side of my back row of chicken coops.  Yep...another young bobcat.  Hubby came out but it had moved off into the tree line.  He got sight of it again and took a shot, but we couldn't find it.  I don't know if we got it or not.  It worries me now to think about being out there in the day time.  They've all just snuck onto our property all of a sudden and all young ones.  Thus, my thinking that the neighbors killed the mother.

I'm sure Terri's peas will throw off a white pea but if not, let me know.

Sorry to hear about the bobcats. That is scary. I don't think my air rifle could take one of those out. Would need something more powerful than an air rifle. Be careful out there.

Are you ready for your new peas??????? :ya

Another group hatched yesterday and a turkey hatched 2 ducklings. I got beat up trying to take this pic. The mama duck flew up, crawled up my body got on my back and slapped the daylights out of me with her wing. I ain't messing with ever again. :oops: She hatched these in the goat house. They seem to love going in there to lay eggs and hatch babies. And the goat doesn't seem to mind at all. He has never stepped on any eggs or babies, so I guess they make it work. :/

Last edited:

Sorry to hear about the bobcats. That is scary. I don't think my air rifle could take one of those out. Would need something more powerful than an air rifle. Be careful out there.

Are you ready for your new peas???????
ya.gif
Soooooo ready for the peas!

And we may need to take some muscovies off your hands. What bugs will they help with?

Are you ready for your new peas??????? :ya

Soooooo ready for the peas!

And we may need to take some muscovies off your hands.  What bugs will they help with?

The ducks help with EVERYTHING! Their specialty is flying insects. They are always jumping up in the air and catching flies, gnats and other stuff. They enjoy when it begins to get dark and the flying pests come out. All you see are ducks running around catching those pesky pests.

The ducks help with EVERYTHING! Their specialty is flying insects. They are always jumping up in the air and catching flies, gnats and other stuff. They enjoy when it begins to get dark and the flying pests come out. All you see are ducks running around catching those pesky pests.
We have pekins and blue swedish -- but I'm thinking we need a few muscovy.

We have pekins and blue swedish -- but I'm thinking we need a few muscovy.

Cool. We process all of the extra males and they are delicious! :drool

Anyone looking for a wheatan/blue wheatan ameraucana roo's? I have 2! Dang it!
They're young and super friendly but I can't have roos :(

I have been debating on neutering them, growing them out and using for soup :( but alas in not ready yet lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom