"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Look at pics of Brown-red Modern game bantams
LL
No doubt about it any more. You are right and she is a companion bird so to speak. Cool she is the one chicken I have that will get a free ride. She's very smart compared to the rest. Thanks Pam

Last edited:
I got some Rye grass seed and threw it out. Its already sprouting. I got it at Petrus. Even though the young guy was like, "It won't grow right now because of the cold". He just doesn't know as much as he thinks he does, lol
big_smile.png
He also sold me MILO to sprout for my chickens...........glad I ALWAYS read up before doing things like that. I could have poisoned all my birds if I had listened to him on that one. Note to self. Never sprout Milo for animals to eat.

That's so goofy! Rye grass IS a cold weather grass -- we always grew it in the winter for our horses and cattle! The minute it gets hot, Rye grass will turn yellow, wither up & die.

Bermuda would grow well - it is a year round grass. We have St. Augustine planted in our yard - we dug roots of it from an old homestead and transplanted it over the course of a year -- AFTER we had seeded 3 acres with Bermuda & then found out Jim was highly allergic to it! Of course that was 35 years ago - there are probably some better strains of grass out there now.

That's so goofy! Rye grass IS a cold weather grass -- we always grew it in the winter for our horses and cattle! The minute it gets hot, Rye grass will turn yellow, wither up & die.

Bermuda would grow well - it is a year round grass. We have St. Augustine planted in our yard - we dug roots of it from an old homestead and transplanted it over the course of a year -- AFTER we had seeded 3 acres with Bermuda & then found out Jim was highly allergic to it! Of course that was 35 years ago - there are probably some better strains of grass out there now.
Oh...that WOULD stink to find out you had an allergy to a grass AFTER you had spent all that time planting it!!!

Need quick help...
My blue orpington (Lucy) is puffed up and shivering.  Sounds a little weezy.  I have water soluble Tylan.  Will this work?  What is the dosage?
Thanks,...

Oh no, Cracked. I remember meeting Lucy. I hope you've gotten an answer. CatDaddy usually knows about that stuff. Try him on Facebook.

I've determined Lucy has impacted, going to sour crop.  I read the advice from the-chicken-chick.com and induced some vomiting.  I've massaged her crop and have her by a heater.  I gave her a couple of bites of egg soaked in oil.  I'll watch her and go from there.  Facebook's been helpful too.  Forever also suggested giving some yogurt.

I have also read of several people using monistat pills cut into 3 equal pieces.  Then given 1 piece 2x day.  I haven't ruled out doing this yet.  However, I will wait to see how she's doing before I "add" anything else.

Kuntrygirl has posted a step by step with fotos for that.

Ok La-yers. I need to throw some grass seeds in some areas of the yard. I need advice on what to get. I need a quick growing seed where I can see results ASAP. And hope the chickens don't eat the seeds.

Suggestions?

When I was going to put grass seed under my screens I literally could not find any that didn't have chemicals in it. Probably need to check out a place that sells organic grass seed. Eye grows fast and well but it is a cool weather grass and will die in the summer. If it is to fill in areas of lawn, centipede is hardy in LA cold and heat. I think you have to spread a light covering of hay over it and water well.

When I was going to put grass seed under my screens I literally could not find any that didn't have chemicals in it. Probably need to check out a place that sells organic grass seed. Eye grows fast and well but it is a cool weather grass and will die in the summer. If it is to fill in areas of lawn, centipede is hardy in LA cold and heat. I think you have to spread a light covering of hay over it and water well.
You know, now that you mention that. I am in need of finding a source for some CLEAN chemical free seeds of whatever type........something that I can plant in the chicken garden beds so that they can munch happily on something grassy. I have plenty of seeds for foods we eat but most are larger leafed plants and won't grow up well through the wire we are covering their little vegetable garden beds with. I have been looking and so far have not happened upon anything yet.......

I ordered my non-GMO seeds from www.victory seeds.com I got vegetables and they also have flowers but I didn't shop for grass. Worth looking at though. I just thinned my lettuce seedlings and my baby chicks loved them. It felt good knowing they were organic.

You know, now that you mention that.  I am in need of finding a source for some CLEAN chemical free seeds of whatever type........something that I can plant in the chicken garden beds so that they can munch happily on something grassy.  I have plenty of seeds for foods we eat but most are larger leafed plants and won't grow up well through the wire we are covering their little vegetable garden beds with.  I have been looking and so far have not happened upon anything yet.......

Try wheat or oats from your local feed store. Just make sure that the are feed wheat/oats and haven't been crushed. Through the winter I have been sprouting feed wheat for extra greens. Locally it is about $9.50 for a 50lb bag.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom