"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

And then...
The "small" version of the barn fan you bought is Uber nuff for a barn! Not just a lil rabbitry! Der.

Sooooo, what do we do? Well shoot, buy a barn?! Seemss so!
th.gif

Hubby happened upon a place that sells structures (not barns
lau.gif
) and a big sale said BUY THIS NOW and he did.
th.gif
in the next 2 weeks we should have 18x22ft long canopy with 2 half sides (the 2 sides don't hit the ground the last 36 inches) and a slew of new cages mounted. Our rabbits will be moving into the new cooled building under the oaks in a couple weeks. Still in shock it all happened so fast
lau.gif
but I think I'm gonna love it
bun.gif

The existing rabbitry is being changed to coop chickens, seems we have another batch coming
th.gif
lady called me from a craigslist she saved from last year (weird lol) but she has a bunch of 4h meaties she doesn't want
gig.gif
people are gonna start dropping of roosters soon - local place across the street here sent someone over to chicken lady (me! And I don't even know anyone that works there lol)

Singing, " And you're moving on up"
lau.gif
Congrats, hon, so happy it's working for you. You deserve it.

Hey everyone from Louisiana. I have a spot in Benton and am planning on getting a few "girls" for some wonderful fresh eggs.
Trying to gather as much info as possible ffrom those who have already learned through experience.
Have gained much knowledge so far and am sure there is much more to learn.

Hey everyone from Louisiana. I have a spot in Benton and am planning on getting a few "girls" for some wonderful fresh eggs.
Trying to gather as much info as possible ffrom those who have already learned through experience.
Have gained much knowledge so far and am sure there is much more to learn.

Woohoo!!!! Chuck Mc
welcome-byc.gif
Great to have you on our thread. I'm in south Haughton and have a passion for chickens. Talk about addiction!!!!
gig.gif
What kind are you looking for ? Local? Or ordering from a hatchery.

Linda I am uncertain on the exact breed. I hope I can find some locally but I go to Paul's Farm Store on North Market and I see he has them coming in all the time. I don't know whether they handle such a small number as I would need though. I have also noticed a fellow on my way back and forth from Springhill that has a sign in his yard advertising several different birds.

Of course I will be busy getting the coop and run put together first. I plan to get started soon. I have been doing alot of reading here on different optikns.

BTW do yours tolerate our Louisiana heat ok?

Last edited:
Linda I am uncertain on the exact breed. I hope I can find some locally but I go to Paul's Farm Store on North Market and I see he has them coming in all the time. I don't know whether they handle such a small number as I would need though. I have also noticed a fellow on my way back and forth from Springhill that has a sign in his yard advertising several different birds.

Of course I will be busy getting the coop and run put together first. I plan to get started soon. I have been doing alot of reading here on different optikns.

Welcome!
welcome-byc.gif

Our birds all fare just fine in the heat. We have White Plymouth Rocks, Dark Cornish, Buff Orpingtons, Golden Laced Polish, Assorted Bantams, Welsummer, Cuckoo Marans and Red Sex Link.

I give them shade and plenty of clean water, that is all. I know some people set out pans of water to let the birds stand in, but I haven't found mine to need it.

Thanks so much for your hospitality and information. Although as a youngster I was around chickens ALL THE TIME, I was a kid running around doing whatever. All my aunts, uncles, grampaw and everhone I knew had a flock of beautiful chickens.

I remember when fried chicken wax a delicacy instead of something you get through a fast food window.
I am really looking forward to digging in soon. Thanks again

Last edited:

Gotta have them in the shade. Get breeds that tolerate heat well. I have Golden Comets, White Plymouth Rocks and 3 Delaware pullets. I have 13 10 day old Sbel's Super blue egg layer. They are great. I may be able to help if you want some blue eggs. The best for southern heat is the Basque. I have one 5 day old. Ordering more in Sept to incubate. I have 18 more SBELS and 15 white rocks in the incubator. I don't have enough room for all so I think I'm going to advertise on Craigslist to sell the 3.5 mo old pullets My problem is that I'm old and can't get out and build another coop. I like the hoop coop and it's easy and cheap. Research at the top for hoop coop. That is a perfect one for our weather. All wire and not much wood.

Gotta have them in the shade.  Get breeds that tolerate heat well.  I have Golden Comets, White Plymouth Rocks  and 3 Delaware pullets.   I have 13  10 day old Sbel's Super blue egg layer.  They are great.  I may be able to help if you want some blue eggs.  The best for southern heat is the Basque.  I have one 5 day old.  Ordering more in Sept to incubate.  I have 18 more SBELS and 15 white rocks in the incubator.  I don't have enough room for all so I think I'm going to advertise on Craigslist to sell the 3.5 mo old pullets   My problem is that I'm old and can't get out and build another coop.  I like the hoop coop and it's easy and cheap.  Research at the top for hoop coop.   That is a perfect  one for our weather.  All wire and not much wood. 

What bator did you get I'm fixing to order one looking at the bursa octagon. Wondering if I need the extra part that makes humidity all automatic. Suggestions welcome. Pam

What bator did you get I'm fixing to order one looking at the bursa octagon. Wondering if I need the extra part that makes humidity all automatic. Suggestions welcome. Pam

You can order from Amazon if you have prime and get free shipping. I didn't . ha I ordered the Pro series 4200 Farm Innovator. Flemings has them. I ordered through them and got the set up with fan and egg turner and shipping for $133. I could have gotten the same thing with my prime through Amazon for $119. So worth it though. Buy one of the water wigglers and buy a digital temp w/probe. Lay the water wiggler on top of eggs and put the probe in the middle and it will give you a more accurate temp. I keep it set on 100. I can't candle worth a dam so I just do the best I can.

Back
Top Bottom