"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Manda, not sue if your asking me what to do about the pasty chick. I'm sure others will give their advice also. Probiotics and yogurt are good for pasty butt to help grow intestinal bacteria. I'm not sure but I think feeding crushed boiled egg is good also??? If they have access to grains as you say "chicken scratch" they need grit also. I'm sure you know this though.

How are you evacuating the bowels? Are you using a syringe? Just trying to learn. :)

If you go on utube and look up vert sexing you will see they evacuate the bowels before getting to the sexing. Pam

One of my new baby chicks that is two days old, I am finding with the chicken scratch and the chicken crumble feed Hardened to his bum and he is unable to poop! I am having to take him to the bathroom twice a day and running it under warm water to loosen it and I can remove it. Then i evacuate his bowls and sooo much comes out!! This is the chick that won't stand long so I think that is why it is getting it stuck to it's butt, because it is sitting more than the other babies. Uhhh, what to do??? I stop turning my eggs yesterday so I am expecting 6 more babies now. These are from my own flock and are purebred amerucanas. Excited excited excited chicken mom here

Vaseline. Clean the area and put a little bit on it. That should help with the poop sticking.

Last edited:
If you go on utube and look up vert sexing you will see they evacuate the bowels before getting to the sexing. Pam
OH! So you have to squeeze their abdomen. I'd be afraid I'd hurt them. Thanks Pam. :)

I got to see orpingtons in real life today. I didn't know they were so big. I read the cocks can be ten pounds. Are they comparable to Bieles in size?

I met the person that manages Azure drop today. My sister bought two BCM roos from her and asked me to go along. Complete coincidence! Small world :)

Last edited:
Did y'all see the article about "endangered" chicken breeds that suggested using heritage Delawares as meat birds? Has anyone ever tried? It seemed so strange to say "this bird's existence is critical. So grow and eat them!" But Delawares were the breed I wanted to start with, before we started going to the auctions. Maybe there's a grant available for conservation efforts? ;)

as for pasty butt...you wanna put a warm wash cloth on it and gently rub it away...if you pull on it or push on the abdomen you can disembowel them so be very careful..you could end up killing the poor thing...its not recommended for just the normal person to vent sex as they can damage the bird and possibly kill them...even trained experts have a hard time sexing them thru the vent...that's y you get some unwanted birds when you order sexed birds from the hatchery...I def wont try it...im to scared

OH! So you have to squeeze their abdomen. I'd be afraid I'd hurt them. Thanks Pam. :)

I got to see orpingtons in real life today. I didn't know they were so big. I read the cocks can be ten pounds. Are they comparable to Bieles in size?

I met the person that manages Azure drop today. My sister bought two BCM roos from her and asked me to go along. Complete coincidence! Small world :)

The Buff Orpingtons we have are not from a show breeder (even though the one she took to the fair was the nicest one there) they are nowhere near the weight they should be according to standard. We did weights today on most of the older hens and the ORP we kept is 5lbs. So if we were going to breed from her and the babies we are growing out we would have plenty of work to do getting them up in size. It's not really an issue for us though since they are just for the kids to have fun taking care of and show in 4-h, which is not like the big league shows. I really did not like butchering the one that we did recently. So I'm not dying to breed them, although my kid loves the buff color. It's one of her favorites. It's body cavity was narrow which made it difficult even for my hands. It would probably be better with hens that were 2lbs heavier though. But for a flock of laying hens they are great, although slightly on the piggy side. One of our favorite traits we all love about them is how sweet and friendly they are, from chick to hen. Cuddly even. We have 7 babies right now that we are waiting to see the sex on. My luck we will find someone with a stellar huge rooster and I know what my daughter will be trying to get me to do. She will want me to make a deal for us to get our ORP hens AI by that rooster. :th Oh what a conversation that would be.

I met the person that manages Azure drop today. My sister bought two BCM roos from her and asked me to go along. Complete coincidence! Small world :)

I would be afraid too. I would try if it was do or die. Thats great so your all set to buy your feed then.Pam

It's blue. It was just bad lighting, plus an Instagram filter that makes it look more black.

Well if it turns out to be a roo let me know maybe we can work something out. I think I have one Black roo time will tell plus my first stab at feather sexing.I need to get on the ball with more coops or tractors. I starting to thing of a bachlor coop for roos and putting them in tractors or coops for breeding.I still trying to decide. Any way if you have a roo that could add genetic diversity to my flock which is a new import. I should have all colors but it looks like one blue. I think they are the best color. Pam

Did y'all see the article about "endangered" chicken breeds that suggested using heritage Delawares as meat birds? Has anyone ever tried? It seemed so strange to say "this bird's existence is critical. So grow and eat them!" But Delawares were the breed I wanted to start with, before we started going to the auctions. Maybe there's a grant available for conservation efforts? ;)

All my new breeds are rare breeds. The biefeleders are breed for the same most heritage breeds are food two ways.I hate the thought of eating rare breeds. But I can't keep all excess roosters and won't be able to sell them all. So I think a meal for us is better than giving them to someone else who will do the same.Pam

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom