"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Found a small brown egg in the box this morning. Either a new layer or my barnyard mix has improved her size, or one of the white hens dropped a size or two. My birds are currently laying the most in the mid-to-late afternoon, so I have a few hours yet to see. Only five so far today.

The presence of chickens on my porch has decreased dramatically today. I was pretty surprised. So even unfinished the fence is doing it's job. :D

The ground was bare this morning.
Backyard:
smile.png

Front yard:
big_smile.png

Ugh. Y'all, I dawdled on my chores today and had to hurriedly cover the coop in a fine mist of sleet. I threw some pine straw over some baby day lilies, maybe that will help. I really have no clue. But I think we're ready now.

I didn't get more than the five eggs, and now I don't expect to. Glad I threw more hay in the coop yesterday.

Y'all hunkered down?

I've been a bit busy here but my hatch went alright, though the fertility was not astounding. Most of the blue and green eggs were infertile so no chicks from Annabelle. :( Overall I had 14 fertile eggs and 12 hatched. I also had 2 little zebra finches hatch too! The finches were a surprise. i'd just about given up on the clutch. Some of these chicks are going to be interesting birds.

Alright, (dumb) NPIP question: does getting tested and certified clean mean that there's no salmonella in your eggs? When I talked to the dept. of agriculture they said NPIP had nothing to do with anything. But maybe it's important to DHH to know my flock is disease free?

So is it just the blood testing? I'm always a little embarrassed by my coop and setup, but I don't actually know of it's bad...

The guy that came here took blood from under the wing he tested for something with a p I already forgot the name. And avian influenza. He put the blood on a card and you know then and their if they have it. Pam

Alright, (dumb) NPIP question: does getting tested and certified clean mean that there's no salmonella in your eggs? When I talked to the dept. of agriculture they said NPIP had nothing to do with anything. But maybe it's important to DHH to know my flock is disease free?

So is it just the blood testing? I'm always a little embarrassed by my coop and setup, but I don't actually know of it's bad...

NPIP is just for pullerum. And you need it only if you are going to sell eggs and chicks outside the state. There are other tests you can get done, but I'm unsure if it costs anything. AI, is aviary influenza and i think some states are now requiring that, not ours though. And there are several other tests, though i don't see many that are certified for anything other than pullorum. NPIP does not mean you have a disease free flock. That can be misleading for people who are not careful with their flocks, they can hurt a lot of people. I got a flock of MG birds and i still have issues to deal with because of it. The guy who sold them to me never got his birds tested and just gives the antibiotics and still sells! Big problem!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom