"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

It's been talked about in the biefelder forum I guess it hasn't been mentioned in a while. They take 7 to 8 months to get eggs that's a while. They mature slow out of all my breeds they listen the best. I let them free range for six hours because the legbars roo wants to fight him. When it's time to go up they will come and get in their coop no problems. So I think their pretty smart. That lady must have got some that had too much inbreeding. Just my opinion. Pam
Yea I knew they were late to mature. It was probably you that told me.

What I meant was, your the first person to mention this characteristic may be why my birds didn't want to leave the coop.
Nobody spoke up on the Biele thread when I mentioned it. I said this before a few posts back that I kept these birds in the brooder till 5 weeks old. The other biele chicks have been in the coop with access to the run since they were 1.5 weeks old and are not afraid like the older birds were. I moved them out of the brooder early to see if it would make a difference. Keeping the older birds in the brooder without exposing them to the outside world made a big difference.The younger chicks are more "seasoned" at a younger age. If that makes sense. They act totally different.
What I'm getting at is the reason they're timid may not be because they're slow to mature but what they've been exposed to and at what age.
smile.png
Anyway, I'm not trying to beat a dead horse. Who really knows what's up with these chickens except them.
lol.png

On sexing chickens anyone ever heard of.........I think it's a wives tale, that if you hold a chick upside down and it pulls up it's a pullet. If it hangs upside down without pulling up it's a cockerel.
idunno.gif

On sexing chickens anyone ever heard of.........I think it's a wives tale, that if you hold a chick upside down and it pulls up it's a pullet. If it hangs upside down without pulling up it's a cockerel.
idunno.gif

i have heard that method with pigeons but never with chickens....
so heres what we were doing today
jumbo texas a n m quail

jumbo browns

LAMONAS.....IN WITH SHOW QUALITY BARRED ROCKS

new polish hen

loud and noisy polish rooster...i wanted to put him on the dinner plate before he made it to the actual pen...

joker practicing for any predators....wanna play im only 100 pounds...

easters hatchalong...growing nicely...there are some polish in there somewhere...i believe five of them

another hoop coop down....only like ten more to go

well that was my day...we are up to 50 pheasant eggs.....have over 200 eggs in the incubator and close to 300 birds now....goal is 500 for the year....i think i will hit it....lol
have a great night everyone...im pooped

Everyone's coops a chicks look so great! I'm LOVING the sunshine and gorgeous temps today. My whole yard is such a mess: the rain collapsed and ruined this little canopy we got last year at Fred's. The broody and her chicks are somehow covered in mud? The broody wasn't even in her box this morning, she had jumped out somehow and the chicks were PANICKED. I had to put a dog crate tray in the tractor for the renegade roo, because he's inches under mud and water. All the shavings in the run have turned to muck. Ugh. It's all just a huge mess.

All the chicks are growing. Do y'all have any tips for sexing EEs and OEs? The EEs are amerecaunas (so she said), and the OEs are amerecauna/welsummer crossed. Pam, I know you're the expert on amerecaunas, and I have no clue about them. I was happy with "EEs" so it's not important if they're true or not, but how do they look to you?

Some chicks have tails and some don't, some have thick legs, some don't. None of them have combs. Even my own speckled sussex and mixed chicks are causing trouble: my very biggest chick with tree-trunk legs also has the longest tail.

Nothing is consistent with chicks I've successfully sexed in past hatches.

I'm attaching chick pics, just to see. I know they're not the best. And a pic of the EE parents, not my stock. I bought hatching eggs.

Parents:

To the best of my knowledge, chipmunk stripes and spotted heads are the EE or OE chicks. They have black-gray legs. The yellow chicks with black stripes are also the EE or OE. The chipmunks with no spots are sussex, and solid chicks (yellow, black, and gray-blue) are the sussex mixed.
\
I'm no expert just read the standards. Birds with no tails are a differen't breed they are rumpless. All mixes are put in the easter egger catagory.Pam

Yea I knew they were late to mature. It was probably you that told me.

What I meant was, your the first person to mention this characteristic may be why my birds didn't want to leave the coop.
Nobody spoke up on the Biele thread when I mentioned it. I said this before a few posts back that I kept these birds in the brooder till 5 weeks old. The other biele chicks have been in the coop with access to the run since they were 1.5 weeks old and are not afraid like the older birds were. I moved them out of the brooder early to see if it would make a difference. Keeping the older birds in the brooder without exposing them to the outside world made a big difference.The younger chicks are more "seasoned" at a younger age. If that makes sense. They act totally different.
What I'm getting at is the reason they're timid may not be because they're slow to mature but what they've been exposed to and at what age. :)  Anyway, I'm not trying to beat a dead horse. Who really knows what's up with these chickens except them. :lol:

Makes sence to me like all domesticated animals the more socialized the better they are. Pam

On sexing chickens anyone ever heard of.........I think it's a wives tale, that if you hold a chick upside down and it pulls up it's a pullet. If it hangs upside down without pulling up it's a cockerel. :idunno

I've never heard of that but I'm getting good at feather sexting. Pam

I didn't bother with feather sexing because the speckled sussex weren't on the lists I found of breeds it worked for. My last hatch I knew by two weeks if I had roos or not (they were all roos). I know that the speckled sussex roos feather more slowly, so I'm pretty sure I've got one pullet. And she has delicate little legs. The other sussex chick has always been a little puny, but I have a feeling it's another roo.

If I go just by thick legs, I've got about 60-70% roos. If I go by tail feather growth, then I've got 50-60%. But they aren't the same. And some of the EE/OE don't have combs at all... like the polish chicks. So I guess that's from the comb type?

The yellow chicks have the longest tails and biggest combs, and thin legs. So, it's all just a hodge podge.

BUT this morning I threw some worms to the broody and her chicks. One yellow chick grabbed the worms, broke them into pieces, and passed the pieces to the other chicks. So that's either a roo, or a future good mom. :fl :lau

I didn't bother with feather sexing because the speckled sussex weren't on the lists I found of breeds it worked for. My last hatch I knew by two weeks if I had roos or not (they were all roos). I know that the speckled sussex roos feather more slowly, so I'm pretty sure I've got one pullet. And she has delicate little legs. The other sussex chick has always been a little puny, but I have a feeling it's another roo.

If I go just by thick legs, I've got about 60-70% roos. If I go by tail feather growth, then I've got 50-60%. But they aren't the same. And some of the EE/OE don't have combs at all... like the polish chicks. So I guess that's from the comb type?

The yellow chicks have the longest tails and biggest combs, and thin legs. So, it's all just a hodge podge.

BUT this morning I threw some worms to the broody and her chicks. One yellow chick grabbed the worms, broke them into pieces, and passed the pieces to the other chicks. So that's either a roo, or a future good mom. :fl :lau

At that age the roo would grab it and run trying to eat it before someone grabs it. The neck feathers of the roo's are thin and pointy.It's harder to tell on mixed breeds this young. But look closely at how they hold their feathers females a normally longer than the roos. you will notice that half are one way etc. take notes it helps as you get more expercence. And if you forget something you have your notes for the future.
Pam

Back
Top Bottom