"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Hey everybody, it has been a while since I've been here. I noticed this on the cement near my chickens on the patio today.

Then I saw Ariel poop this out.

Then my baby promptly slipped in it and landed in it.

Is this something to worry about? I went into the coop and run to see if I could find more poop like this, but I didn't see any. Most of it is kind of blended in with the dirt anyway. They haven't been doing much different, aside from spending a ton of time under the fig tree.

my guess is cocidiosis....you can use corid...powder or liquid...here is a chart for you

i would start with the severe...and go from there...corid is pretty safe as well...2tsp is 10ml...if that helps

Me Too had a good amount of unfertlized eggs too. I will keep you posted and take pics tomorrow of all birds.Including my first one that will wind up on the table. It's a Bresse roo 5 1/2 months old he's hudge for a heritage breed but main purpose is meat even though they lay eggs. I have a couple roos and he has a floppy comb. so he's been on grain I'll add dariy for the next 2 weeks and then process.Pam
Pam, I heard back from J. this morning. He said no one has told him he can't ship. I don't know that it's worth the risk. What if by chance the birds became infected in transit.
The poultry industry doesn't know how the virus is being spread.

We ended up with 9 Cochin chicks that are doing fantastic so far. The 2 that died were because of hen inexperience. First time mom for one and the other chick got squished because of a young hen insisting on laying her egg that first day in the same nest where the chicks were hatching. The 9 are all lively and eating good. I'm just dying to know if any of them are frizzled though.

I also have another "wait & see" subject. Every time I look at pictures of black Cochin chicks they look like this......

And whenever I see pictures of MOTTLED Cochin chicks they have much more yellow on them and they look like this......

Either way it's fine with me if some turn out to be mottled. But the gentleman that I bought my black Cochin breeders from says that he doesn't think there is any way that his Black's could be split to mottled. All 3 from him came from the same breeding pen at his place.

I REALLY think most of the lighter ones are mottled. But I will just have to wait and see for sure.

My incubation is moving right along this time. Hope our turns out his. 15 Cochin and 18 large fowl. I think I have about 9 days left. Going to try to build an outside brooder with hubby.

I have a new olive egg layer. She was very proud of herself for laying it! :lau

And I have these 3 cuties I'm trying to sell so I don't have to send them to the freezer. Too cute! 1 hen and 2 cockerels that are Cochin/Silkie cross.

Zooman I'm sorry I didn't respond to your question about the snake. My husband says it was a chicken snake. I don't know much about snakes. But it was big enough to eat a Serama or eat eggs for sure!

I actually had typed up a response to your question and shared my most interesting snake experience and then we had a power outage that lasted about 30 seconds. :old That made me quite grumpy. Lol.

Pam, I heard back from J. this morning. He said no one has told him he can't ship. I don't know that it's worth the risk. What if by chance the birds became infected in transit.
The poultry industry doesn't know how the virus is being spread.

I would call our ag center poultry division And ask them if they are allowing shipments from nebraska. If so what forms do you need from shipper. When is he sending them? Maybe go on their ag poultry page and see what they say about the state of emergency. Pam

my guess is cocidiosis....you can use corid...powder or liquid...here is a chart for you

i would start with the severe...and go from there...corid is pretty safe as well...2tsp is 10ml...if that helps

Thanks! I just got back from TS with the corid and I was googling the dosage info! It seems that no one else had any blood in their poop and that chicken has been fine. I'm going to give them some anyway just to be safe.

Last edited:
I would call our ag center poultry division And ask them if they are allowing shipments from nebraska. If so what forms do you need from shipper. When is he sending them? Maybe go on their ag poultry page and see what they say about the state of emergency. Pam
Pam are you talking about LSU Ag site? I just took a look and there's nothing about AI on there. I called a few offices in different parishes. No answer, so I guess they're all closed on Sat.
I think he wants to ship on Monday.

Thanks! I just got back from TS with the corid and I was googling the dosage info! It seems that no one else had any blood in their poop and that chicken has been fine. I'm going to give them some anyway just to be safe.

they do have intestinal shedding that will have some in it as well and its not coccidiosis.....as well...but better to be safe

Back
Top Bottom