"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Buff laced roo.

OMG! How cute! Haven't seen one like that before.

Good to see your back home. Let me know if your still interested in the marens Roo.If not I may go sell at our swap.Hope you have a good turn out and sell a lot. Pam

Sure wish we had room for BCM roosters!!! That one hen we have is really turning out nicer than I expected. No eggs yesterday or so far today. Wonder if she will do 2 in the same day again. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sure wish we had room for BCM roosters!!! That one hen we have is really turning out nicer than I expected. No eggs yesterday or so far today. Wonder if she will do 2 in the same day again. :rolleyes:

She might sense she is a new layer.i wish you did too I have two extra that are Bev Davis line they hatched from super dark eggs. One was a biter at first but with handling he's turned into a big sweetie.Pam

I am looking to re-home a Buckeye rooster. I would like to see him go to a good home instead of a stew pot. He is about 1 year old, a good breeder, not overly friendly, but not terribly aggressive either. He just needs a bigger space and more ladies to court. He has 9 girls now and they are starting to look a little tattered.

I've been reading everywhere that these maggots do eat the living tissue as well. I've witnessed it as well, as they created a new hold on the back of her. So yucky.

A little knowledge is dangerous in some hands. :gig. Maybe that's why they only put the diabeticbandages on for an hour or so each time. Just get the bad stuff and take it off. :lol:

I've been reading everywhere that these maggots do eat the living tissue as well. I've witnessed it as well, as they created a new hold on the back of her. So yucky.

Kimmy, I'm not sure what the problem you are having with maggots is, but here is a thought. It is possible that what you are seeing making holes is not maggots at all, but instead they could be Botfly larvae. They make a nasty oozing hole in the skin with a maggot like worm inside it. My cats get them sometime. Not sure if that is what is happening there, but you might want to research it a bit. If you can pinch up the loose skin and gently try to squeeze it out until you can see the worms head in the hole, then carefully pull it out with tweezers. Be careful not to break up the worm and be sure that all of it is out, then disinfect the hole with an antiseptic.

Wow it's been a quiet weekend on the layers thread, Hope everyone is doing well.

So ya'll I need some advice. My first hatch of Bieles are 5 months now. There are 6 cockerels and 11 pullets. No one is laying yet. I don't know when I should cull more of the males. I know the ratio should be 1 male to ten females or thereabouts. Since I have two different strains I was thinking of breeding one pair of each and using the clan mating system http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Clan+Mating.html
Keep each strain separated for two clans and cross breed once to create the third clan. Is this how I should go about getting started?

From my 2nd hatch I have 4 cockerels and two pullets that are about 3.5 months. Is it ok to integrate them with the 5 month old birds. They've all been residing together in the same coop.

Wow it's been a quiet weekend on the layers thread, Hope everyone is doing well.

So ya'll  I need some advice. My first hatch of Bieles are 5 months now. There are 6 cockerels and 11 pullets. No one is laying yet. I don't know when I should cull more of the males. I know the ratio should be 1 male to ten females or thereabouts. Since I have two different strains I was thinking of breeding one pair of each and using the clan mating system http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Clan+Mating.html
Keep each strain separated for two clans and cross breed once to create the third clan. Is this how I should go about getting started?

From my 2nd hatch I have 4 cockerels and two pullets that are about 3.5 months. Is it ok to integrate them with the 5 month old birds. They've all been residing together in the same coop.

The sooner they're together the better.That sounds right just remember after the first hatch you want to breed parent to new hatch not hatch mate to hatch mate. Then outcross to the other line. They won't lay till 7 to 8 months at least the line you bought from me. Pam

Back
Top Bottom