"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

:lau :fl im glad your ready to learn! Incubating has quite a curve! That bator is known as a Little Giant 9300 i had to lookit my box to figure out what you were talking about, Miller manufactuer and item # 6300 :thumbsup That modle can be greatly improved with a fan but the fan type heater is whats different from the 9200, with the heating element which holds temp slightly steadier.

Im glad its holding steady for u tho, do u have secondary calibrated thermometers and hyrometers? Alot of how steady the incubator remains is in the enviroment and how steady that is. With such special eggs i figured you want all bases covered and digi devices can each default at any given time.

My LG93 fried 21 duck eggs in a temp spike before i gave up on it :( with only 8 eggs ordered do u plan to set some others in all that space? If not id recomend sealed sterlized containers of water so that they Dont raise your humidity and they help hold your temps more stable. With only 8 eggs in total id be concerned about temp swings. If youll trace the air cells on days 7, 14 and 18 you can monitor their growth and determine if your humidity is in the right range.

Shipped eggs can be treated differently but results vary. Mostly jus plain and simple shipping does dammage and it will or wont be bad enough. :confused: i havent set shipped eggs but a friend has hached eggs i sent to her. Ive seen most people hold onto them to let them settle at least overnight. You always want the big end up. Some air cells may roll inside the egg.

:smack me if i talk to much, i :love hatching tho and im more than glad to help :oops:

I let mine settle two days before starting. For candeling I have a 130 lumens led tiny flash light . I found it by the pen lights in Home Depot it works great. Pam

I let mine settle two days before starting. For candeling I have a 130 lumens led tiny flash light . I found it by the pen lights in Home Depot it works great. Pam

:clap becomin a candlin addict like the resta us eh? I like to trace the air cells in bright marker colors to get a color coding and keep track of the mouisture lose. Its a good enuff excuse anyway ;)

2 days is probly better for stabalizing egg cells but i mostly dont want the eggs to get over 10 days old. Which raises another point, same day laid eggs can hatch, but of you wait past the first three days, the PH changes alot and you might get more hatchers.

Last edited:
:clap becomin a candlin addict like the resta us eh? I like to trace the air cells in bright marker colors to get a color coding and keep track of the mouisture lose. Its a good enuff excuse anyway ;)

2 days is probly better for stabalizing egg cells but i mostly dont want the eggs to get over 10 days old. Which raises another point, same day laid eggs can hatch, but of you wait past the first three days, the PH changes alot and you might get more hatchers.

I wouldn't say I'm an addict. I candle ate 3 days and 18 days. I circle the air sell in pencil. I candled today to see the final eggs left were still going. I'm a set and let it be hatcher seems the more I ignore the better the hatch. Here's my hatch details out of my shipped eggs 2 clears, to fully formed quitters one was in the wrong position . So 8 out of 12 I'm happy out of shipped eggs . All my eggs hatched except one quitter. So I'm happy.
Back to the candeling I was terrible at it I thought. The stronger lumens and the smaller pen size is a game changer. Pam

welcome-byc.gif
welcome to the la-yers. Pam
Love you Pam. That welcome is not for me though. Looks like I'm staying in the Portland/Vancouver area. My daughter is thrilled and has a garden space ready for me. The opportunities are unlimited up here. A mobile processing unit 30 miles away. Cottage businesses are all over. I'm going to get busy. I won't be coming home to pack up my stuff. My daughter Brandi can do that and store it for me. I am at peace. Happy.
woot.gif

Love you Pam.  That welcome is not for me though.  Looks like I'm staying in the Portland/Vancouver area.  My daughter is thrilled and has a garden space ready for me.  The opportunities are unlimited up here.  A mobile processing unit 30 miles away.  Cottage businesses are all over.  I'm going to get busy.  I won't be coming home to pack up my stuff.  My daughter Brandi can do that and store it for me.  I am at peace.  Happy.  :woot

I'm glad your happy but I miss you terribly. Why have you changed your mind? No visit either what's up? Is this due to finances? I was waiting till the dust settled on your go fund me to see what you needed. I'm happy they are making room for you to do you things that make you happy. Do you have your bator with you? When your ready I'll send eggs or chicks. I just hatched Light Sussex, Orust, and Svart Honas my best hatch ever on shipped eggs 8 out of twelve.
I'm still not giving up on you coming for a visit one day. You could stay with me so no hotel bill. I'd like to extend that invitation to your family for a vacation I have two extra kings and a twin bed.
I want to see plenty of pics as you get things going weather it's on here or FB. I know you hadn't figured out the smart phone posting while you were here. I know your daughter can show you how. Miss you so much. :hit :hit :hit I wish you all the best you deserve it after this hard year. I just found a processing person 30 min. from me. If you left you chicken supplies or equipment here and find it cheaper to sell then store or ship let me know I'll buy it from you. PM me your address and phone number up there. I'll Pm you mine if you lost it. Love you too Linda and this isn't good buy. If you don't make it here I may come there one day. Buck was born there.:lau

Here's some of my chicks. :hugs Pam

I have soom time to kill today and don't plan on working it to death, so here i am showing off my Jan hatch which will go on the ground next week when i get home. CCL, Safire and OEs the 2 white chicks Safires are off of the chick in my profile pic, i now have several of them, CCL roo x white Leghorn pullet, now i have true Safire chicks, CCL x Safire pullets

Last edited:
I wouldn't say I'm an addict. I candle ate 3 days and 18 days. I circle the air sell in pencil. I candled today to see the final eggs left were still going. I'm a set and let it be hatcher seems the more I ignore the better the hatch. Here's my hatch details out of my shipped eggs 2 clears, to fully formed quitters one was in the wrong position . So 8 out of 12 I'm happy out of shipped eggs . All my eggs hatched except one quitter. So I'm happy.
Back to the candeling I was terrible at it I thought. The stronger lumens and the smaller pen size is a game changer. Pam

Of course you arent really Addicted to candling i was only playing. I am very glad that your super bright pen light is working so well! I have a chart i follow to be surer of how on track the humidity is growing the air cells. It shows days 7,14 and 19 on chickens and i have found it to be a very comforting guide. If i was to determine a problem on Day 14 i could fix it by hatch. I was so nervous when i began that i weighed individual eggs! Tracked the percentage of water loss by weight until i learned what these graphs look like in person.

Your right that tampering with the warm eggs may hurt some eggs, being easy on them is really the difference between life and death. The first wrong jostle can tear the yolk or break the chalaza. For most candling i dont need to pickup the eggs, just have them set upright and i can trace aircells. Some eggs are a tad more complicated, and a stuffed tray is slightly more difficult to see into :gig

:clap I am so happy for your hatch! :clap
:celebrate 8/12 shipped is Fantastic! :celebrate

Cant wait to see those beauties color up!

I have six of seven natural hatch chicks in these 2 pics, this RIR hen is 10 months old. @ of these should be CCL and 1 Saffire, the others are , well i dont remember

Pam, these are the first 2 CCL that i hatched in OCT, waiting for her to lay now, he has become a fine looking roo, she is also a fine looking pullet

Last edited:
I have six of seven natural hatch chicks in these 2 pics, this RIR hen is 10 months old. @ of these should be CCL and 1 Saffire, the others are , well i dont remember Pam, these are the first 2 CCL that i hatched in OCT, waiting for her to lay now, he has become a fine looking roo, she is also a fine looking pullet
That's great news Top Dog! They look really good. Those brooders can surprise you. I love seeing chicks. Happy Easter!

Back
Top Bottom