"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Quote:
You know I will have to watch for that. I think maybe I was still keeping them in their coop and run and not letting them free range everyday when the first go around of LB's came. I don't really remember the 2nd set being so bad this past year!! I'll definetly let you know if no one else can answer this question for you!

Quote:
You know I will have to watch for that. I think maybe I was still keeping them in their coop and run and not letting them free range everyday when the first go around of LB's came. I don't really remember the 2nd set being so bad this past year!! I'll definetly let you know if no one else can answer this question for you!

Ours snap at them, and eat them since they're in their beak,. but then seem to lose interest very quickly,. must taste pretty bad for a chicken to not want it.
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
Thanks. Glad that you liked my website. Where exactly do you live?

My turkeys are only for pets. I don't like Thanksgiving turkey, so I would never eat them.
hide.gif
However, many people have contacted me and purchased both turkey eggs and turkey poults. For some reason, the breed (Bourbon Reds) that I have is sorta popular, so people contact me often wanting to purchase babies. Right now I have a waiting list of people who have ordered turkeys. I have had a family purchase a few of my Bourbon Red Turkeys for their daughter who is in 4H. She wanted to show the turkeys that they purchased from me. I thought that was kinda cool.

It is sooooo much fun having sheep. My sheep are tame, so they literally eat out of my hand. They come running when I call them. They are characters. When I first purchased my sheep many years ago, I had no intention on having them for meat. Well...........my thinking changed when something happened that I would have NEVER expected.......True story..... I had a Ram sheep that I got when he was only a couple of months old. I had him for a few years. He was spoiled rotten. He would eat out of my hand, came running when I called his name, stand up on his back legs and put his front legs/hooves on my shoulders (like a large dog would), rubbed up against me when I went to feed him, etc., etc., etc.

Well................... he was so spoiled and I was so close to him, that he evidently thought that I was another ram. He started head butting me. He would do this when I was walking out in the chicken yard and he was behind me. He would head butt my legs, my stomach, my back. etc. He started to do this to my family when they would come to visit. It was getting to the point where I didn't trust him. I was afraid to walk in front of him for fear that he would head butt me and I would fall on the ground and become unconscious and he would possibly kill me. Well, I couldn't sell him or give him to anyone because I didn't want to give my problem to someone else. If I would have given him to someone and later on found out that he killed that person, I wouldn't have been able to live with myself. I reached out to so many people who had other sheep who had the same problem. I typed so many posts on different sites, begging for help because I DID NOT want to slaughter him. Everyone said the same thing. They said that because of his aggressive behavior that he would eventually KILL me or someone else.

So the final straw was when he head butted a relative into a chain link dog kennel and my relative had a knot on his head due to this ram head butting him against the metal pipe. Well unfortunately, that same day, JR Boy (that was his name) was sent to the slaughter house. I cried like a big ole baby. I wasn't the one who took him but I still cried knowing what was going to happen to my Jr Boy. Well, a couple of days later, I had to go to the slaughter house to let the butcher know how I wanted the meat cut. As soon as they brought out his carcass, I burst out crying. So there was I - a grown woman crying in the butcher's shop. My cousin ordered me to return to my truck and to stay there until I stopped crying. So I finally stopped crying and went back inside so that the butcher could cut the meat. I started crying again but I tried my best to hold it in so that I could talk to the butcher. As soon as the cutting was over, I ran to the truck and burst out crying again. Needless to say, I learned that day, how pitiful and weak I really am when it comes to processing my own animals. I was depressed for weeks but when I realized that I had about 100lbs of lamb meat in my freezer, I felt a little better. Also I felt better, knowing that I was still alive and my aggressive ram was not able to hurt anyone again or kill anyone. Sooooo, that ram was used for meat for me and my family. Lamb chops are yummy!

I have 4 new lambs for 2011. Out of those 4 lambs, I have 1 ewe lamb and 3 ram lambs, so I have too many rams. I will have to sell the rams. I won't be able to keep them. I only like to keep 1 ram for my girls. The type of sheep that I have do not have wool. They are hair sheep, so I don't have to shear them. Being as though it gets sooooooooo hot in Louisiana, I didn't want to be bothered with shearing sheep.

Having sheep are fun. What kind of sheep did you think about getting?

That is cool that you have a waiting list for Turkeys, that is the same kind I have thought are so pretty
smile.png

So sorry you had to go through that with your ram, you did what you had to do though. That happens sometimes, we had to do that with a rooster that went after our son when he was a toddler. My husband refused to give our problem rooster to someone else.

I did not know what kind of sheep I wanted! lol I just like goats so much I figured sheep would be nice to have too
smile.png
Once my husband bought the first goats we had I was hooked on them!!

Quote:
Fantastic! I hope to apply for mine in another couple of months, soon as I get this last batch of chicks up & running.

We're finally feeling almost like human beings again. Yesterday was just awful for me pain-wise, I guess the first day after a surgery always is, I finally had to break down & take pain pills. Jim's fighting a severe ear infection & running a high fever so the both of us weren't worth shooting these past 2 days.

But this morning-- woke up feeling better, just weak & washed out, the hens gave us 4 nice eggs so I scrambled those with some thick sliced bacon & toast. Jim's fever is down & he just cut a hole in a trash bag I can tape over my knee bandage so I can take a well-wished for shower. Then back to bed for a while.

When it warms up I plan to go just sit in the sun & soak up some healing rays--it's supposed to hit 60 today & the SKY is BLUE & a BIG YELLOW THING up there too! Whoo-hooo!!!!!
celebrate.gif
wish we could work on some of the outside projects but definitely not up to it yet - but we'll get there!

Edited to add: see the rooster in my avatar? That's a splash Andalusian I hatched from a BYC breeder 2 years ago. No longer have him but his daughter laid an extra large white egg yesterday -- that's what breeder quality will do for you! She isn't a big hen either, but very consistent layer year round of large white eggs. I'll be hatching some of those crossed on my Wheaton Ameracauna roo Eagle later this spring.

Terry , Glad you are doing better , hope your hubby is better too. No fun at all both of you being under the weather, I spent the day picking up limbs and lots and lots of them. Still not done
sad.png
Lovely ice storm that we were blessed to have! lol

Terri, glad to hear that you're feeling a little better.

Kuntrygirl, since you like lamb/sheep meat might you consider keeping a ram for a later slaughter? Growing up, we always had quite a bit of lamb in the freezer. Each year my dad would butcher 2 or 3 sheep. My parents had five children so we consumed lots of meat. The secret to being able to eat animals you raise is to emotionally detach yourself from the animal right from the start. Choose the one that you least like. Then, plan for the future slaughter. When will you likely run out of meat? What holidays will be close to that time. Would you want fresh lamb for the holidays? Or, maybe you don't want to mess with butchering a animal around the holidays. What cuts of meat did you really like? What changes might you ask the butcher to make? What were two of your favorite lamb meals? If you get used to thinking like this then butchering becomes a little easier each time.

I had a White Leghorn rooster that was so mean. He jumped me several times. I still have scars on legs from his spurs. I made a gumbo with him that was quite yummy. Best part was that I could go into my pens without having to carry a stick to protect myself. Now, I'm looking for the next one to make gumbo with...
tongue.png

Hey I'm new and from Monroe, La. Just recently started considering raising poultry for eggs. Does anybody in the Monroe city area have an idea about 'laws' and what's allowed etc? Thanks in advance.

Me

Back
Top Bottom