"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

I hate mosquitoes. ,. living near the Bayou,.. they are dive bombing us already.
sad.png
it's only March)

We are going to screen the newer coop,. I just can't stand the thought of the girls out there trying to deal with that. We haven't had bats in a while,. not since Katrina hit,. I'm putting up a new bat house too,..
Oh how I hate mosquitoes!

So any of you try to mosquito proof your coops? If so,. how,. if this has been addressed in this thread before,. forgive me,. too tired to look right now,. and I'm not thinking clearly,. because all my blood has been drained by the ....MOSQUITOES!

We were chatting in another thread about mosquito proofing coops and I am searching for the "screen" type of material to put on all of my coops. I don't like to go out at night and I see the mosquitos attacking my animals. It's not a pretty sight. It will be costly but worth it.

Last edited:
You should be able to find the screen at any home depot or lowes I'd think. I know that we're going to be screening our back porch in soon mainly cause my hubby can't stand the chicken poop on the porch!
hide.gif

Please let us know how it works out. I've never really noticed the chickens being bothered by them at night!
idunno.gif

Quote:
They are coming out more up here too. I'm lucky to have electricity out in my coop, I use box fans. Downside is they have to be cleaned often.
sad.png

We live on the water as well & they get real thick quick in warmer weather.

Your birds can get fowl pox,there's 2 kinds dry & wet pox.Wet pox is the worst for chickens to get.
When Gustav came thru & dumped 17 inches of rain,we lost power & it was sickening to see my birds covered in mosquitoes. I felt bad for the Turkens & brought them inside at night.
My chickens ended up getting (dry kind) fowl pox pretty quick after that.You have to let it run its course,I did put iodine on their pox scabs to help dry them up.

Quote:
They are coming out more up here too. I'm lucky to have electricity out in my coop, I use box fans. Downside is they have to be cleaned often.
sad.png

Your birds can get fowl pox,there's 2 kinds dry & wet pox.Wet pox is the worst for chickens to get.
When Gustav came thru & dumped 17 inches of rain,we lost power & it was sickening to see my birds covered in mosquitoes. I felt bad for the Turkens & brought them inside at night.
My chickens ended up getting (dry kind) fowl pox pretty quick after that.You have to let it run its course,I did put iodine on their pox scabs to help dry them up.

Oh wow didn't realize all of that!! Will have to keep a better eye on them in the evenings this year!!

Thanks

Quote:
Ok, I will. Just wanted to post a pic of how the mosquitoes affected some of my chickens on last year. I don't want the same thing to happen this year. I feel so bad for my chickens. I have open/air coops because of the warm pics in Louisiana but i can't stand mosquitoes. Avian pox does not look nice.

6612_avian_pox.jpg

Quote:
sad.png

i experienced it first hand, so i know what bayouchica is talking about. not a nice thing to see. you just feel helpless when you see it.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom