"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Where in LA are you? I can't keep up with everyone.
smile.png

I feed exclusively organic and order from an organic (thus non-GMO) mill. I get wholesale pricing (which is still significantly higher than non-organic); it's the shipping that really gets you. I have it shipped by a freight line and pick it up at their warehouse in BR. The more feed we order, the cheaper the rate per pound. I buy it in 50 lb sacks, but it is available in bulk shipping bags up to 2,000 lbs ($0.37 to $0.42 per lb if bulk of 2,000 lbs min).
Keep in mind that the organic feed lasts me longer (at least 1.5 times) than the Flockraiser I used before I found the mill. The organic feed is NOT processed/cooked and retains all it's nutrients, so the birds eat less. The feed is a mash (coarsely ground or rolled). There are fines in the blend that include fish and kelp meal. My birds love it and don't waste a thing. The mill is also super accommodating. They will change the coarseness of the grind or alter ingredients (if available) upon request.
Pricing (50 lb bag) ranges from $23.50 (developer) to $27.50 (soy-free layer is the most expensive, regular layer is $24). Shipping has run anywhere from $5 to $10 per bag because my order sizes have varied so much.
You may have read an old thread I posted trying to see if others in LA had an interest in organic feed lol. I had NO response!I'
We are in Lacombe,.. about an hour and 45minutes from BR. I would be interested in the regular layer,.. I would like to try 1 bag, if possible, to see if they eat it and how long 50lbs would last us. We only keep 20-25 birds at a time,..I had given up crumbles because they wasted so much and a lot of it was powder on the bottom of the bag,.. How often do you purchase it,.. do you have to have an order way ahead of when it's ready for you?
I had left a post on https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/683433/organic-feed-co-op-in-louisiana#post_9612637 a lady that said she wanted to form a LA organic feed co-op,..
I've gotten no reply as of yet,..

Last edited:
just wanted too stop in let everyone were (baby and I) are doing great and my hens have boycotted the egg production lol heres a pic of the lil one born 7/26. here a pic of my baby

Well got the brooder set up this past Sunday and wife just called to let me know she's on her way to pick up the baby chicks at the post office. Looks like we are on our way to a chickens way of life... LOL

Well, my flock is now coming down with its first outbreak of fowl pox. I'm not happy about it, but seems like it's the natural order of things...

Back
Top Bottom