louse on a loose wing feather in coop

heiditam

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 8, 2014
Sorry-initially posted this in wrong forum! :(
Okay, so
I have 8 birds...

I have checked 4 so far and have not seen any evidence of lice. I am checking around vent but I suspect I should also check under wings as the one I saw was white, long and narrow.

Anyhow...While cleaning out coop I found this lice on a loose feather in coop. I will treat ALL the chickens just to be safe, but...

1. what should I treat them with? I think it is wing lice.

2. I use sand, which is mostly PDZ...do I need to switch out the bedding? That is ALOT of heavy stuff to haul away. Is there a way to treat the pdz/sand? Please say there is. :( This will be costly if not. :(

3. They are dust bathing under coop-I threw some DE I got at feed store under there today to add some dust to the dust...

4. Anything else?

*I am pretty sure there is not an active infestation-I just saw that ONE lice, but I want to get rid of them before we are infested! Would like an easy to apply solution too as 5 of these birds are super skiddish!

Dust your birds with sevin dust, coop and nests as well. Repeat dusting in 7-10 days.

Thanks. Well, I dusted them and found...one had red mites! UGH! :( And three smaller birds in my garage(all form same breeder) had a few. :( ARGHHH!

So they are all dusted...how much of this stuff do I need to put in coop and nests? I just sprinkled some around, or should I use a whole container?

Thanks. Well, I dusted them and found...one had red mites! UGH! :( And three smaller birds in my garage(all form same breeder) had a few. :( ARGHHH!

So they are all dusted...how much of this stuff do I need to put in coop and nests? I just sprinkled some around, or should I use a whole container?
Lightly sprinkle coop and nests. Now that you've discovered red mites, several dustings may or may not be required. Inspect all your birds for external parasites especially around the vent area where it's warm and moist.

Back
Top Bottom