Loving my "Ladies"!

trirealtoramy

Chirping
Mar 21, 2016
Virginia
Hello everyone! Im new to this world of "all things chickens" and am loving it! I am currently in a rental program with coop and chickens. Now that we have tried it out we want to keep our lovely ladies. Im a little chicken obsessed. I need to find a new coop for them and have no idea where to start. My rental is up end of the month. We live on 2 acres and back up to woods so predators are an issue. When people have "dirt floors" are the burying hardware cloth?

Welcome to BYC. As for chicken pens and protection: hardware cloth pens and tops, a skirt around the outside, electric fencing around the pens for a near fool proof predator protection.

welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us and congrats on your decision to get your own flock.

IMO it would be difficult to "rent" and have to return those sweeties after you get to know them.

Do explore the coops section. First decide how many you want or can manage, pick breeds that can be happy in confinement and build "Fort Knox". The All-in One type of coop/run offers comfort and protection, just make sure to think more room than you think so you won't need to add on. I built one like the Wichita Cabin Coop - love the design, but enlarged the run area when my gals were grown.

Explore the forums, feel free to post questions. You will find folks here happy to help.

Haha. You are so correct. It is hard to rent then return these feathered loves. I did it more so my guy would fall in love with them and get on board
1f609.png

We have decided 3 is enough. Kids are in college now so with just us (and 2 dogs) we are happy with our supply of eggs. I shall explore the coop section now. Thanks for the advice
263a.png

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello
frow.gif

All the best
CT

Hi! Just joined byc and am loving it! My husband and I have 20 acres in Michigan and are proud parents of 6 BO pullets (maybe lol...1 could be a roo) and 2 BR pullets. Can't wait to share stories and pictures!

Back
Top Bottom