low egg production? need some advice

Ebers

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 29, 2013
N.E. Oklahoma
I have a mixed flock of 12 laying hens I was getting anywhere between 8-12 eggs a day last month but it's been REALLY humid here & temps have been in the 80's & low 90's & my egg production has dropped off significantly to 3-5 eggs a day could this be from the change in weather or should I look elsewhere for the reason it has also rained alot here lately forcing my hens to eat more feed instead of free ranging in the evening which they seem to thoroughly enjoy I'm just concerned about my ladies if anyone has any feedback

A mixed flock of 12 laying hens may be layers, show birds, broilers, dual purpose chickens, or a Hines' 57 Dukes mixture of breeds and ages. The fat season for laying is fast closing for non-production breeds. Summer will be upon us in under 3 weeks. Then comes the molt.

What breeds? What ages? How and with what are your birds fed? Anyone broody? Do you have pest stealing eggs? Is it possible that a hen or two have stolen their nest away? All of these things and more can affect the egg production of a backyard flock.

Back
Top Bottom