Low humidity in Hova-bator 2362N Circulated Air Incubator

susan.pfz

Hatching
9 Years
Feb 17, 2010
This is my fourth hatch in my hova-bator. The first two hatches went really smoothly. The last hatch I had chicks dying during the hatch after days of struggling to get out of the shell. I finally came to the conclusion that the humidity was too low because I found that the membrane was dry and stuck to the chicks, keeping them from escaping their eggs. I broke the rules and assisted two chicks in hatching by dripping warm water on them to soften the membrane until they could get out themselves.
For THIS hatch I made sure that I did everything by the book so that the humidity would be right, but I'm having the same problem. I had two hatch with no problems and the third is stuck in a dry membrane. The incubator doesn't have a humidistat, so I can't really monitor it. I have the two center water troughs full the way they show in the diagram in the instructions. Should I fill the very outer troughs, too? Any suggestions for monitoring the humidity?

You can boost your humidity by putting HOT WATER in the water troughs. You might want to get a Hygrometer to measure your % of humidity.

I always put hot water in the troughs, it doesn't seem to be doing any good. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me?

susan.pfz :

I always put hot water in the troughs, it doesn't seem to be doing any good. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me?

I mean the hottest(steaming) tap water you have, it will have to increase the humidity because it should be releasing steam = which will increase humidity. When I place it in my water reservoir my humidity jumps to 90%. I put the hot water in on the 18-19th day and then incubator goes into lock down...works fine for me that way.​

hello there. swheat your right. Ifr your water isnt hot enught put in the microwave for two or so minutes until it scolding hot. Dont hurt your self. Can out it it in the trough. It may jolt the temperature up a few degrees but it'll drop after a while. try it.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom