Low-no Fertility problem

Will do!
I'm going to give them a few weeks on it and try again in the 'bator.

breeding is certainly harder than I thought. So much for just popping a rooster and hens together in a pen and then getting chicks....
roll.png

LOL

N:)

Oh breeding is super easy when you put mutts together though! /grin

I've just arranged to get a nice trio of bantam rocks in the fall. I'm so excited as this is the line I had before and they really did well for me. (Until raccoons eat them.) They bred and hatched so easily.

On the other hand, I had a superb line of OE blacks from a well known breeder. I couldn't get them to breed/lay/hatch for love nor money. Finally when I did, the same raccoon killed the 3 babies I got, one of which actually looked like a show bird. After months of trying to get anything. But then again I learned a lot from them. I always thought that you just give a guy two girls and voila!

But sometimes it's not easy. You kind of have to try something - give it a couple of weeks to a few weeks, then try something more. Then in your line's future, choose males for fertility to correct the issue and improve your line.

I do hope you get some good hatches and clutches though! For what reason are you breeding, may I ask? Show? Fun? Or?

Very exciting times!

I had a roo with a bright red, sore vent like that and no fertility. I noticed his legs were red too and he was walking stiff. I gave him a bath with hypo-allergenic shampoo and rubbed vaseline on his red parts. I kept up with it and after a week or so he was back to his old self. He had a leg mites infestation (hard to notice on cochins.. but, I learned to be more observant with them)

Finding the knits is a sure sign of infestation... even if you don't see the critters. I would bath them in puppy flea shampoo two times 10 days apart, rinse well and apply the vaseline or neosporin or even hydrocortizone cream every couple a days to his vent.

Back
Top Bottom