Low rent, I mean, 'modest' hen house photos, please

We bought a USED portable building from the local "rent to own" portable building people. NO credit check and a modest monthly payment. This is what we started out with and it is now used as the:

Nursery, feed storage, shop, medication administration, tool storage and "a place to call my own, the wife thinks I need a cot in there" building.

It has electricity to it and it is TRULY portable.

15239_nursery_005.jpg

What is really nice is that I KNOW my birds will be safe from predators, even with the doors open to the shed. I have built separate partitions with reinforced chicken wire, lots of lumber and screws.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are lucky to have found such a nice shed to work with. Try to put in a door to collect eggs from the outside. hats a great help.

I had two old sheds I wanted to use, but the framework was totally rotten and full of all sorts of crawly things. Glad I dismantled it in the winter - Yuck!
Think they are from about 1930.

Post pictures - we'll be waiting!

Last edited:
Quote:
I may actually do a window box when it's all done. Flowers are so pretty.

I am wanting to do windows that I can slide plexiglass into during bad weather. Just not exactly sure how to do it so it looks reasonably ok.

I've got less than $200 into my coop. I finished it a little at a time. I even had to let them out when they were young pullets so I could finish the coop. You can see it at both links below. Take note of the FREE and cheap stuff I used, including culled wood from Lowes.

I don't have a photo right off hand, but my coop was built sometime in the 1930's and it leans to the left and back, like a drunken sailor. It has large gaps between the boards where they have shrunk over the years. I have thick bean poles for roosts and some cardboard on the walls to cover some of the biggest gaps. Its red paint is peeling and the door sags a little.......

...and I love it!
love.gif

Its sturdy and has big windows, I use an old galvanized nesting box unit and an old galvanized feeder. I have noticed that my chooks care not one bit what their home looks like, as long as it has food, fresh water, a snug place to lay and roost, and is kept clean.
wink.png

Dr.Doorlock :

I've got less than $200 into my coop. I finished it a little at a time. I even had to let them out when they were young pullets so I could finish the coop. You can see it at both links below. Take note of the FREE and cheap stuff I used, including culled wood from Lowes.

Very nice little coop with lots of cool features. I thought the curved window was a skylight, but using a glove display is ingenious! Really well thought out and executed.​

Quote:
Move outta that city, Rufus!
wink.png

DH and I have been "building" a house for 8.5 years and the only inspection we ever had was a soil test for the septic tank.

With a little TLC your shed will make a good coop. Just wanted to let everyone know that a good source for free lumber is your local sign company. Their signs are packaged in wooden frames and crates. With a little elbow grease to take out the staples and nails you will get good usable lumber. They have to pay people to come take the lumber away. Give them a call to see if you can have it. My son works for a sign company and we got a lot of lumber for our coop from them. Most of the lumber will be 2x4's and 1x4's. The boards we got ranged in length from 10+ feet down to a few inches.

Back
Top Bottom