Low shedder- “adult chicken parasites”

hwrights04

Songster
6 Years
Jun 17, 2016
East Texas
This is what I was told today after taking a fecal sample to the vet for evaluation...
“Only 2 eggs found in the sample, low shedder, categorized as ‘adult chicken parasites’ told to monitor her for now instead of treat- due to how treatments can cause resistance in the parasites”

So basically that was a waste of money doing that!

I had posted several days ago how we noticed our Easter egger having yellow foamy poop every now and then...at least once or twice a day. Last night I immediately looked at her droppings after she did her business and saw a super tiny, worm moving! It was thinner than a piece of thread! Super skinny.
We also have 3 other hens (another EE & 2 RIR)
So, monitor? Treat anyway? Try holistic treatments first? So frustrating. AND we are headed out of town for 4 nights on the 12th...so I don’t want to come back to a dead hen (she’s loved like a pet). Also will add that we have never worked them- had them for their whole lives- this is our first incident with anything health related.
Pic below to show foamy droppings.

Attachments

• 3ABE6B1A-77CC-4BB8-AEDD-9CE0B160100A.jpeg
    3ABE6B1A-77CC-4BB8-AEDD-9CE0B160100A.jpeg
    693.2 KB · Views: 39
Edited to add: Wishing I had saved the droppings from last night with the thing I saw in it! 🤦‍♀️ For some reason was thinking it had to be super fresh, right out of the butt droppings..

You couldve possibly seen a cecal worm which is one of several types of roundworms that can infect poultry. The most common are large roundworms and is easily seen in feces.
In any case, only 2 eggs on the slide means your bird has worms, albeit not many worms. Given the fact that one female roundworm can lay tens of thousands of eggs a day which will be deposited in feces, contaminating the soil, they can and will infect other birds.
I recommend worming all your birds with either Valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer or Safeguard liquid goat wormer. Dose each chicken orally.
Here's a link for you to read with very good information about worms and worming.
https://veterinary-practice.com/article/common-poultry-worms

You couldve possibly seen a cecal worm which is one of several types of roundworms that can infect poultry. The most common are large roundworms and is easily seen in feces.
In any case, only 2 eggs on the slide means your bird has worms, albeit not many worms. Given the fact that one female roundworm can lay tens of thousands of eggs a day which will be deposited in feces, contaminating the soil, they can and will infect other birds.
I recommend worming all your birds with either Valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer or Safeguard liquid goat wormer. Dose each chicken orally.
Here's a link for you to read with very good information about worms and worming.
Thank you!
I was also wondering if it could’ve been ace all worm that I saw.
Also had me wondering— Are cecal worms only deposited in the cecal droppings?

Will we need to discard their eggs while they are on the medication?

I would interpret that report that the weird feces is the result of something other than intestinal parasites.
I'll add that a super tiny worm in the feces could be one of a few things, some not a problem at all, and some a big problem. Given that the fecal you got gave you essentially no information, I'd give them fenbendazole.

Last edited:
I would interpret that report that the weird feces is the result of something other than intestinal parasites.
I'll add that a super tiny worm in the feces could be one of a few things, some not a problem at all, and some a big problem. Given that the fecal you got gave you essentially no information, I'd give them fenbendazole.
Thank you!

Do I dose them once and then again in 10 days or for 5 days in a row for possible cecal worms? From what I can tell from researching, the two doses 10 days apart only treats roundworms and that all other types of worms need the 5 day dosing. Is that correct?
Also, what about discarding their eggs during treatment?

Back
Top Bottom