Lower beak bent and slightly flexible: diagnosis?

Egg Blues

Chirping
May 20, 2022
An Easter Egger (green egg) that hatched about three or four weeks ago developed slowly so that other chickens, hatched a week later, surpassed it in size. It became apparent that it wasn't eating, and upon force-feeding it (kept it going a few days this way), it was discovered that its lower mandible was abnormal. Was it dislocated? Malnourished and not developing properly? Genetic problem? Was it sick?

It passed away today, so it is no longer miserable--but I worry about my other chicks in the event that this one had something contagious. I've searched online and have yet to see any case that is quite the same as this, with most of the discussions usually referring to something like "scissorbill or "crossbill" or something.

In this case, there was nothing wrong with the horizontal alignment of the bill. Even the vertical was not too far off from normal, but it may be that the lower mandible was actually longer than the upper. See attached photos for details.
DSC02183.JPG

DSC02189.JPG

DSC02185.JPG

Any clues as to what went wrong?

If it helps in the diagnoses, it was a shipped egg, the only one of about two dozen in its batch that actually hatched. The rest of the eggs seem to have arrived too scrambled to make it, even though the shells all looked perfectly fine.

The chick had been unable to fully close its beak, and swallowing was difficult. The lower mandible seemed a little bit softened, about as flexible as an average fingernail, perhaps, provided that the fingernail were in the same shape.

Attachments

• DSC02191.JPG
    DSC02191.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 1
Yea, that looks malformed to me. Not structurally sound enough to keep the normal beak shape and just kind of collapsing in on itself. I'm firmly thinking that this was just an unfortunate roll of the genetic dice on this one.

If this was a hatch of an egg from your flock, I probably wouldn't let that particular combination of chickens create any more chickens due to this observed risk of mutation. Beyond that, I wouldn't worry about the rest of your flock - this really feels like something that happened during the growing cycle.

Sorry for your loss on this one.

@sourland and @Battlepants, I appreciate the guesses. I'm still hoping someone might chime in with a voice of experience. Having seen that Marek's can manifest itself in numerous ways, for example, I still have my worries. I have done my very best to keep these chicks isolated (indoors) from the others (outside) which I believe have been exposed to Marek's, but some say Marek's can even follow the shoes or clothing of the keepers. Sigh. Now I'm just worried something could have gone mysteriously wrong on that count, or even that it could be some other unusual contagion.

Back
Top Bottom