LSG that herds as well?

Maemujwok

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 26, 2013
We have our flock free ranging on 3 acres. We do not have a fence. So far we've only lost one bird to a predator, but would like to get a LSG. We are also hoping the LSG will herd the chickens away from the property line and away from the porch. (The property owner is threatening to throw all the chickens in the pot if they don't stop pooping on her porch). Is there a dog known for guarding AND herding? Is it even practical to think a dog will keep birds out of a particular area?

There's no such thing as a Guardian Dog that will herd, nor one that is meant to "guard" birds
I'd recommend you forget about using dogs to protect birds, since it generally causes more problems than it cures, and fencing is much cheaper

German Shepherds were bred to both herd and guard livestock. Many German Shepherds learn how to herd ducks before they work with sheep. Obviously not killing the ducks is an important lesson they learn.

I have a German Shepherd and she is a wonderful guard dog for our flock.

Weird--there are dogs that are sold just for the purpose of guarding livestock, including chickens. Are the people selling them frauds?

LSG?

Livestock Guardian Dogs have some very OLDEST breeds, & they are a working dog.

LGD.org lists most of your options. There are also some forums on the 'net to
read about them.

Maem, you dont say where you are, but that may dictate what type
of breed you could use best.

The people raisiing LGDs are not frauds, but there are always some
dogs that don't fit the standard stereotype of their breed.
More research may be helpful & Good luck finding your best fit!

BTW, Welcome to BYC
highfive.gif

"I have a German Shepherd and she is a wonderful guard dog for our flock."
A German ShepHERD is a HERDING dog, not a true LGD

Calling her a "guard Dog" doesn't make her one

http://www.lgd.org/
"Livestock Guardian Dog (LGD) breeds have been used for centuries to protect livestock from predators in Europe and Asia. The most well-known of these breeds in the United States are the Great Pyrenees, Anatolian Shepherds, Akbash and Maremma."

Quote:
There are no dogs bred to "guard chickens" You can train a dog to NOT bother chickens, but they will not "guard" them as they will true livestock

Last edited:
There are no dogs bred to "guard chickens"You can train a dog to NOT bother chickens, but they will not "guard" them as they will true livestock

No offense, but you seem kind of snobby about the whole 'dogs guarding animals' thing. My male Saint Bernard actively guards us, our other two saints, our cats, and any other animal I happen to bring onto the property and introduce to him to. He actively responds to any of our cats being in distress(has gone after stray cats he know are not ours when they got into a fight with one of our cats, and did not harm or show aggression towards our cat, only the 'invading' one), and cats most certainly aren't 'true livestock', as you say. I'm new to chickens, but so far he does check up on the few we have when he makes his patrols every evening around the property.

He attacks or drives off(and sometimes kills) raccoons, opossums, Coyotes, foxes, or really anything else he feels shouldn't be there, and actively responds to any animal(or person, for that matter) being in distress. What more is there to a 'true' livestock guardians job?

I really think it's more the individual dog, and what he sees as his responsibility, more than what breed it is. My best friend has a pyrenees/anatolian cross that is terrible at guarding, and ignores any of her animals making a ruckus to signal a predator! Obviously no guardian instinct there.

Sorry, but my dog definitely isn't one of your chosen golden child "LSG" breeds(Though his breed was used for guarding property/people at one point in their history) but I've never met or owned a dog that takes their job more seriously. In fact, his NAME actually means 'pure guardian' and he suits it perfectly. He is a dog that goes from being a giant diva baby to a snarling monster at a moments notice of danger or disruption, and then comes back, tail wagging and gentle again like nothing ever happened. In fact, my new rooster was cuddled up next to him on the porch earlier today.

Swisstar's Hogosha Kiyoshi (AKA Yoshi)

Last edited:
Oh, and about the "That dog can't be a GUARD dog because it's a HERDING breed" thing.

Please, won't you convince my predominately search and rescue/tracking/hauling breed that he's not supposed to be a guard? Just don't blame me if he takes your face off in the process. He doesn't like strangers much.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
"I have a German Shepherd and she is a wonderful guard dog for our flock." A German ShepHERD is a HERDING dog, not a true LGD Calling her a "guard Dog" doesn't make her one http://www.lgd.org/ "Livestock Guardian Dog (LGD) breeds have been used for centuries to protect livestock from predators in Europe and Asia. The most well-known of these breeds in the United States are the Great Pyrenees, Anatolian Shepherds, Akbash and Maremma."

Oh, I guess by your logic an Anatolian ShepHERD is also a herding dog...
roll.png
Can't judge a breed by the name.

Sorry, but saying a German Shepherd is not a guard dog is demonstrably false. They are the most common guard dogs in the world.

From the AKC website:

"The German Shepherd Dog is hailed as the world's leading police, guard and military dog"
"He is a loyal family pet and a good guard dog, the ideal choice for many families."

"German Shepherds are working dogs developed originally for herding and guarding sheep. The dogs were bred to preserve traits that assisted in their job of herding sheep and protecting flocks from predators."

The only reason they are not a traditional LGD breed is because they won't assimilate into the flock. They will still guard the flock, but are not well suited to living with them and they are not as independent. German Shepherds will guard anything you train them to, but they still need human leadership, companionship, and discipline, whereas LGD breeds do not.

I don't even know why you're being such a breed snob about this. Simply put, dogs have a pack mentality and many dog breeds are fiercely loyal and will protect their pack. As long as they see the flock as part of their pack, they will feel protective of them and defend them. They may not LIVE with them and consider themselves one of them, but they can be protective of them none the less.

Yeah, traditional LGD breeds are very independent and can live with their livestock as one of them with very little human interaction, but that's really not what people on this forum are looking for.

Back
Top Bottom