Lt Brahma - Any chance this isn't a roo?? (pic heavy)

carolynb

Chicken Kisser
10 Years
May 18, 2009
Raynham
This is my 10/11 week old Light Brahma...what do you think, cockerel or pullet? I am guessing a cockerel due to the tail feathers, coloring and HUGE legs & feet...but am hoping that I'm wrong.

31694_dscn5587.jpg

31694_dscn5589.jpg

In the front on the right:

31694_dscn5593.jpg

In the back:

31694_dscn5594.jpg

I really hope you guys are right!
smile.png
We have 3 and they are supposed to be pullets...this one just has really big feet and I thought the dark feathering on it's back was a sign of a roo. These are the first Light Brahmas we have owned so I really don't know
smile.png
Thanks everyone!!!

Most certainly females - When my brahma girls were young, I really could swear that a couple were male. I thought that because their tail feathers started to curve, and that their legs being huge were certain signs - But they were girls. These girls are definitely not roos - A brahma cockerel will have a deeper chest, very long hackle feathers, and definite long, stringy saddle feathers with a much more droopy set tail. These here just look like hatchery-type females.

Funny - Mine looked like that group pic too - One was very white, one had a lot of fine lacing in the feathers along the back, etc.

Thanks Illia!! I was looking at your website (very nice, by the way) and noticed Cheesecake looks just like my Light Brahma in question. Is Cheesecake a girl??

I'm not an expert on brahmas, but out of the two I've had, the comb made it pretty obvious. My cockerel's comb was reddening by about 6 weeks and then his wattles started to grow also - the crowing at around 9 weeks confirmed the deal. He did not have the black feathering on his back like your chick does, so I wouldn't say that's a definite rooster trait.
My pullet is 11 weeks old and still has a tiny pink comb - no wattle growth.

These 2 pics are of my cockerel at 11 weeks of age:

lightbrahma015.jpg

lightbrahma011.jpg

This is my pullet at 10 1/2 weeks of age (you can't tell in the pic, but she has no wattles yet):

EEchicks004.jpg

The coloring on my two chicks looks the same, but they are definitely 2 different sexes. I had purchased the boy from the feedstore about 6 months ago and was dissappointed that he ended up being a roo (we can't have roos here). I am so glad that my new LB is a girl.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom