Lt Brahma - Any chance this isn't a roo?? (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by carolynb, Dec 12, 2009.

1. carolynb

carolynb Chicken Kisser

May 18, 2009
    Raynham
    This is my 10/11 week old Light Brahma...what do you think, cockerel or pullet? I am guessing a cockerel due to the tail feathers, coloring and HUGE legs & feet...but am hoping that I'm wrong.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the front on the right:

[​IMG]

In the back:

[​IMG]

2. jprice2ndlt

jprice2ndlt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    looks henish to me.

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I agree, they look like hens.

4. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Looks like my hens!

[​IMG] this is my Brahma Light Roo.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  5. carolynb

carolynb Chicken Kisser

May 18, 2009
    Raynham
    I really hope you guys are right! [​IMG] We have 3 and they are supposed to be pullets...this one just has really big feet and I thought the dark feathering on it's back was a sign of a roo. These are the first Light Brahmas we have owned so I really don't know [​IMG] Thanks everyone!!!

6. Poultry Master

Poultry Master Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2009
    Winlock,Washington
    I'd say roo too.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Most certainly females - When my brahma girls were young, I really could swear that a couple were male. I thought that because their tail feathers started to curve, and that their legs being huge were certain signs - But they were girls. These girls are definitely not roos - A brahma cockerel will have a deeper chest, very long hackle feathers, and definite long, stringy saddle feathers with a much more droopy set tail. These here just look like hatchery-type females.

Funny - Mine looked like that group pic too - One was very white, one had a lot of fine lacing in the feathers along the back, etc.

8. carolynb

carolynb Chicken Kisser

May 18, 2009
    Raynham
    Thanks Illia!! I was looking at your website (very nice, by the way) and noticed Cheesecake looks just like my Light Brahma in question. Is Cheesecake a girl??

9. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I'm not an expert on brahmas, but out of the two I've had, the comb made it pretty obvious. My cockerel's comb was reddening by about 6 weeks and then his wattles started to grow also - the crowing at around 9 weeks confirmed the deal. He did not have the black feathering on his back like your chick does, so I wouldn't say that's a definite rooster trait.
    My pullet is 11 weeks old and still has a tiny pink comb - no wattle growth.

These 2 pics are of my cockerel at 11 weeks of age:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my pullet at 10 1/2 weeks of age (you can't tell in the pic, but she has no wattles yet):

[​IMG]

The coloring on my two chicks looks the same, but they are definitely 2 different sexes. I had purchased the boy from the feedstore about 6 months ago and was dissappointed that he ended up being a roo (we can't have roos here). I am so glad that my new LB is a girl.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  10. carolynb

carolynb Chicken Kisser

May 18, 2009
    Raynham
    Wow...thanks, ArizonaDesertChicks!! This really gives me hope. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by