Lucky me...

Ashllen

Chirping
Jan 6, 2023
North West Washington
Might recognize me from my special needs chicken thread. I've gotten a lot of helpful tips from it and other articles I've been reading, just recently learned about bumble foot, but now that I'm looking... I noticed 2 different hens that like to balance on one foot at a time I thought nothing of it. It's winter the ground is cold, obviously! But I have a new hampshire red named Erza and she has looked like she is molting since November and now I'm looking at her feet and it's pudgy? Just on the pad of both feet. No black scabs, and it's not deformed looking. Am I just being that person that looked thru wiki medicine too long and now think I have 7 different diseases? Or is this actually it?

20230126_163628.jpg
20230126_163622.jpg
20230126_163416.jpg
20230126_163414.jpg

Her feet look pretty good. It's normal for there to be some pudgy cushioning and callouses. On her left foot there does look to be a small scab on her pad, though it might just be a dirty scale... Even if it is scab since it is so small and the pad doesn't look infected I would just keep an eye on it for a few weeks to see if it heals on its own. It's great that you're keeping a close eye on them. I learned the hard way to periodically check feet even if you don't notice anything unusual and had to spend months and months struggling to cure a bad case of bumblefoot.

1674795158956.png

So another thing, I noticed weeks ago that she threw up water. I thought nothing of it, I startled her after she guzzler water. Had a chick do that a few times and she is perfectly healthy. But when I was checking on Erza's feet I noticed she had a waterey blob on her chest? It's more playdoughy now. But checking other hens I think that's just a full stomach? I'm worried because I saw this poop on the ground thus morning.
20230128_091035.jpg

Nvm. She is walking a bit like a drunken sailor. Takes a few steps then half crouches like she needs to steady herself. I'm looking up obstruction stuff now. Pretty sure I read an article about sour crock? Can't remember the name. But it led to talks of obstructions and they too had blood in the stool. 😢 that chicken didn't make it tho.

The poop pic looks like someone shed a bit of intestinal lining which is completely normal every once in a while, but if you start seeing a lot of red or mucusy poop something is wrong.

A doughy feeling crop could be dehydration and/or a yeast infection (sour crop). I'd give her some acv water and a crop massage and try to get her crop to empty. If she's having trouble walking she seems pretty weak/sick and I'd isolate her to keep a closer eye on her and see how much she is drinking and what she's pooping.

The poop is questionable there. When is the last time you dewormed her?
Does she have any lice/mites?
I'd consider deworming, Valbazen, dose is 0.08ml per pound of wieght given orally once, then rpeated in 10 days.
Is she still molting?
Any lice/mites?
I'd check her crop first thing in the morning to make sure it's emptying. If it's not, then I'd begin treating according to this article. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

The minor scab on the foot is the beginning of Bumblefoot. I wouldn't be too concerned about it, but if you wish, you can work on it with a non-surgical approach as described in this article.
https://www.tillysnest.com/2015/12/non-surgical-bumblefoot-treatment-html/

She Barfed a bit of water last night. But to be fair I was carrying her to my quarantine space/shower stall and my cat had just jumped onto the counter. Which put them nose to nose to each other. Is spitting up water a normal fear response for chickens? I feel like I only ever see mine do so when startled by something. Don't worry I have a jack and Jill bathroom set up so my toilet space and my bathing space are different rooms.

Back
Top Bottom