Lucy ad Ethel

I am so sorry.
hugs.gif

My friend has an Easter Egger hen with a crossed beak that does well. She does feed and water her out of a deeper dish.

I think the top beak may be trimmed to help the situation.

Absolutely your decision, just giving you some food for thought.

Quote:
Could my vet do that? I'm totally new to the backyard chicken raising. I'd hate to lose Lucy, I mean we've named her and everything.

First off...
welcome-byc.gif

I bought a small flock of birds from some people, and it was after I got them home I noticed one of the Easter Eggers had really severe crossbeak. She's almost 2 and is doing just fine! She just has to have deep water, can't drink out of the puddles some of the others like to. She also needs either larger pieces of food or out of a pan. She can't scratch like the other chickens. But, she gets along fine! She is kind of a loner, so I give her special treats. She loves pinched off pieces of bread! She is also able to eat whole pumpkin seeds. Oh! And WATERMELON!!! YUM!!!

Since she is older, I wouldn't cull unless you see that she is losing weight. Even then, since you only have two, it's not like you won't be paying super close attention to what she's eating. Just be aware that you might have to have her beak trimmed occasionally. My hen is actually doing better since we let her beak grow out, though.

She will need to have plenty of access to water. My Whopper (cause she's got a Whopperjaw, and is brown, like the candy!) has times when her little tongue will be caked with dried mud. I've learned to have pans of water set out around her favorite grazing areas while she is free-ranging.

Good luck! She should be fine! Her's doesn't look as bad as Whopper's does.
wink.png

Shelly

Quote:
oh no! Really? Even if she's made it this far? And feed stores sell birds with crossed beaks? That's not cool.

Crossed beaks are a deformity that rarely happens.

Quote:
oh no! Really? Even if she's made it this far? And feed stores sell birds with crossed beaks? That's not cool.

Crossed beaks are a deformity that rarely happens.

I see. We're totally new to this, so I'm already learning a lot.

Welcome to the forums!!! Just go by what the posters said to do that has experienced this situation, she should be fine. Mojo Chckn has a duck/goose(can't rem which) with a deformed top beak(almost no beak on top) and he does fine)... I think she has special feeders and such available for him too.

Back
Top Bottom