Lucy and the Heat in CA

Do you have an EZ up or similar you could set up over the coop and run to provide some extra shade?
No EZ up but we did have a brown tarp covering the top of the run. The hubster removed that, thinking that the dark brown color might be attracting heat. He replaced the tarp with a large, white plastic-type thing (like a fence panel) and attached a piece of wood to one side so it sits up at an angle. The idea being that the hot air can rise up and out and creating 3 channels of air flow instead of just the original two. The house and the run are in the shade, though.

I have one of mine in a laundry basket right now watching vampire movies with me. Lol. I am in Sacramento and in this nasty heat wave too. I have lots of shade for my chicks, fans in the coop and outside for breeze, small pools with dirt and or water, a mister system going constantly and give them cold treats every few hours but even with all this my baby silky had seizures and quit breathing all together. Thank goodness hubby was there and gave her mouth to beak recessatation, and ruffled her up a bit in hopes to get the heart going..She is now in the house watching movies and seems to be ok but she will spend the rest if the day inside to be under watch. If ya love your babies do everything you can to keep them safe. A pop up with a mister attached to it would work nicely on your set up.

I already lost one, but managed to save the other two. Feels like it's going to be cooler today here in Gilroy, what's it looking like for you guys?

-Kathy

Sorry to hear you lost one Kathy. That is so sad. I lost a beautiful American last month for no obvious reasons. She was very healthy and only 5 months old. Her sister is still with us. Sometimes it just happens.. Cried for days over that one. I heard it is suppose to be 110 here. And the humidity is horrible.

Hi I live in California too
Where I live its been 112 degrees. I have a very. Small flock of four silkies its been so hot I had no other choice but to bring them inside until the.temperature drops. I was too afraid I would loose one! As the temperature rose I tried everything to keep them cool! I even tried wetting each one but when its that hot they still showed signs of heat stress
So in my spare bedroom I set up a huge box. This box is big enough for me to lay in both length wise and side ways. And I made a temporary area for them inside. My husband works at a grocery store so he was able to get this huge box that stores watermelons are shipped to them in. Its sturdy and HUGE ! It makes a perfect temporary area for my birds. They don't seem to mind at all being inside. When its this hot there is nothing I could do but bring them in. I was so afraid I was going to loose them! Where I live at 630 yesterday evening it was still 109!! That's hot! And that's not the hottest part of the day! So I felt I had no other choice but to make them a area inside until this heat wave passes! I just wanted to share my story. Thanks for reading. Maybe it can help someone else going through the same thing? :) birds are doing great now inside.!

Back
Top Bottom