Luikse Vechter vs. Índio Gigante

Which is Better: Liege Fighters or Indian Giants?

• Total voters
They grow fast. That's hatch to 16 or 17 weeks.

Attachments

• 55A41BA3-E411-494B-B6E7-E57EC39E71FB.jpeg
    55A41BA3-E411-494B-B6E7-E57EC39E71FB.jpeg
    426.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 3E28C50F-4C06-41D1-A2AE-B70337091BA3.jpeg
    3E28C50F-4C06-41D1-A2AE-B70337091BA3.jpeg
    865.8 KB · Views: 6
I hatched mine from EBay eggs and got a 100% hatch rate. Seller is awesome and I can go look up her information if you're interested. I'd say they either need to be free ranged or in a huge run just based on size alone. I completely free range mine and have had zero problems other than they won't get off the damn porch when they want food, which is always. I haven't had a hawk attack since they've grown. I think the hawks are intimidated. As far as food goes, I haven't found anything they won't eat yet, they just want lots of it. I had them on game bird starter, like 27% protein from hatch to 16 weeks. Now they eat all flock and scraps like everyone else. I like them. I think I will always have some from here on out. I'll probably pick up some chicks from Greenfire in the spring since I'm close to them.
I would love to see the seller's information! I usually don't think to buy eggs from eBay due to all of the scams and bad quality birds, but I will take your word for it.

There are a few hawks around my house, and they have a territory not too far from here. One attempted to attack the Cornish Cross in the chicken tractor. I don't want a hawk attack again; another reason why I am interested in Liege Fighters.

Do Liege Fighters need to consume feed that has a high amount of protein like the gamebird starter you mentioned?

I keep them with a mixed flock of standards. RIR's barred rocks and some Liege hens. So far no problems. The RIR's especially make up in mean whatever they lack in size. It's actually pretty funny to see a 4lb RIR hen chasing one of these 30" tall dinosaurs around. I think if you had an aggressive roo it could be really bad for the hens though. Their feet are roughly as big across as an adult man's hand.
I have heard that their feet are as big as a turkey's. In my opinion, Liege Fighters should not be with chickens smaller than them.

How can anyone vote on this when no one has experience with both breeds? I had an Indio Gigante here from Greenfire Farms for a while but ultimately I found him too docile, slow and clumsy for my breeding project

I think chickens have a natural size capacity and Indios are beyond it. Liege may be as well given what I've heard about them crushing their own eggs when brooding

Humans can breed gracelessly for size like the Brazilians did with Indios, but an Indio egg is no more tough than any other egg. Breeders would have to select for egg thickness, egg permeability and so on which aren't exactly easily quantified in a breeding program. Might as well just get an ostrich or something instead of playing God with chickens

I crossed my Indio with Asil (among other things) and I'm sure they'll be far superior to the pure Indio

How can anyone vote on this when no one has experience with both breeds? I had an Indio Gigante here from Greenfire Farms for a while but ultimately I found him too docile, slow and clumsy for my breeding project

I think chickens have a natural size capacity and Indios are beyond it. Liege may be as well given what I've heard about them crushing their own eggs when brooding

Humans can breed gracelessly for size like the Brazilians did with Indios, but an Indio egg is no more tough than any other egg. Breeders would have to select for egg thickness, egg permeability and so on which aren't exactly easily quantified in a breeding program. Might as well just get an ostrich or something instead of playing God with chickens

I crossed my Indio with Asil (among other things) and I'm sure they'll be far superior to the pure Indio

Honestly... wouldn't you be "playing God" as well, if you have a breeding program?
It's a light hearted poll. It's not like we are voting for president here 🤣

Back
Top Bottom