Luikse Vechter vs. Índio Gigante

Which is Better: Liege Fighters or Indian Giants?

• Total voters

SwampPrincessChick

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Oct 30, 2022
The Swamp
I am interested in both Luikse Vechters and Índio Gigantes, and I am curious to see which breed the members of BackYard Chickens prefer.

Be sure to vote basing on appearance, temperament, egg production, protection, health, price, and all of the factors of having chickens.

Last edited:
Not speaking from experience but I feel like Liege Fighter might be more aggressive than Indian Giant but I really don't know! One thing I do know is Liege Fighters are nicer looking chickens!

I really like my Lieges. Very odd birds. They're almost dog like in how they follow me around. They seem more intelligent and curious than most breeds. In my experience they are assertive, but aren't "game" like an American gamefowl. Indios look cool I guess but I have no experience with them.

Forgot to add: Lieges eat me out of house and home, even free ranging. They are ravenous at all times. Don't look the other way if you're holding food. They're tall enough and bold enough to take a bite for themselves.

I really like my Lieges. Very odd birds. They're almost dog like in how they follow me around. They seem more intelligent and curious than most breeds. In my experience they are assertive, but aren't "game" like an American gamefowl. Indios look cool I guess but I have no experience with them.
I have heard they are very calm and dog-like, and that is what part of their personality that interests me. Where did you get your Liege Fighters from? I was looking at Greenfire Farms.

Forgot to add: Lieges eat me out of house and home, even free ranging. They are ravenous at all times. Don't look the other way if you're holding food. They're tall enough and bold enough to take a bite for themselves.
I also heard that they are picky when it comes to their food, and they prefer to be free-ranged. Do you have any issues with that?

Oh wow! This is good to know. Do you keep them with standard size hens or is that a no-no?

I have heard they are very calm and dog-like, and that is what part of their personality that interests me. Where did you get your Liege Fighters from? I was looking at Greenfire Farms.

I also heard that they are picky when it comes to their food, and they prefer to be free-ranged. Do you have any issues with that?
I hatched mine from EBay eggs and got a 100% hatch rate. Seller is awesome and I can go look up her information if you're interested. I'd say they either need to be free ranged or in a huge run just based on size alone. I completely free range mine and have had zero problems other than they won't get off the damn porch when they want food, which is always. I haven't had a hawk attack since they've grown. I think the hawks are intimidated. As far as food goes, I haven't found anything they won't eat yet, they just want lots of it. I had them on game bird starter, like 27% protein from hatch to 16 weeks. Now they eat all flock and scraps like everyone else. I like them. I think I will always have some from here on out. I'll probably pick up some chicks from Greenfire in the spring since I'm close to them.

Oh wow! This is good to know. Do you keep them with standard size hens or is that a no-no?
I keep them with a mixed flock of standards. RIR's barred rocks and some Liege hens. So far no problems. The RIR's especially make up in mean whatever they lack in size. It's actually pretty funny to see a 4lb RIR hen chasing one of these 30" tall dinosaurs around. I think if you had an aggressive roo it could be really bad for the hens though. Their feet are roughly as big across as an adult man's hand.

Back
Top Bottom