Sexing eggs and wives tales? šŸ¤” pure bred hens crossed with buff Orpington rooster results? šŸ¤” Incubator brand review? šŸ¤” I got some answers! šŸ˜†

If you started with these 9 eggs, why is one of the most recent photos labeled as having a Cream Legbar mother? (chick #6 Pip)

A chick from Buff Orpington x Cream Legbar should have a single comb, and Pip does not seem to have a single comb, so I think you've got a label wrong somehow.
Yup! I did I fixed it šŸ˜Š

I can't wait to see how the barred rock chick feathers out. I'm not sure your barred rock hen is purebred, that chick should have had a lot more black on it. But buff can do some strange things with black. If it is a boy, when it feathers out it will be barred. If a girl it will not be barred. You should be able to tell by the wing feathers when they come out.
I know this is an older post, but my buff orp x barred rock baby from last year is almost a full grown rooster now and heā€™s beautiful. Sweet as can be too ā€¦. Heā€™s doing very good in learning how to protect the girls. I just hope he and his ā€œdadā€ can continue to co exist. We shall see!

Attachments

• IMG_6283.jpeg
    IMG_6283.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
In regards to the string thing in the first post--it's very simply micro muscle movements. If you pay close attention you can feel the tiny muscles in your hand tremble or twitch slightly, and the string moves just as if you were to sway your whole hand back and forth.

I decided to try to hatch my own chickens and because I put a lot of factors into this hatch and I feel I could help others with questions concerning a hatch. I am by no means suggesting Iā€™m a pro now šŸ˜‚ BUT I went into this a complete newbie! Prior to incubation I researched sexing eggs, sex link breeding, feather sexing, and cross breed characteristics. I bred my BUFF ORPINGTON ROOSTER with the following hen breeds:
Rhode Island Red (2) fertile eggs, Golden laced Wyandotte (4) fertile eggs, black australorp (1) fertile egg, barred rock (1) fertile egg, Easter egger (1) fertile egg.
First, letā€™s talk about wives tales. Farmers, like us, didnā€™t want to be overrun with roosters and even though their tricks and trades arenā€™t 100 foul proof, keep in mind nothing in this world is. (1) Egg shape is a factor used in tossing out possible roo hatch. This is the bullet looking egg (pointy end) vs a more rounded shape egg. Of my 9 eggs I only place ONE POINTY (bullet looking) egg into the incubator. Then, I did the second experiment ā€œwives taleā€ a needle tied to thread.(2) Dangling the needle over the egg and make sure it is still. I waited for any type of movement and sure enough it swayed on its own after a few seconds. Side to side = boy Circle = girl. 8/9 eggs circles. Yes! the more pointier egg moved side to side. Each egg was numbered and marked with an R for round (circle) S for side to side.
Incubator: I first purchased a sailnova from Amazon. Knowing nothing about incubators, I am warning others now to steer clear of any cheap ones out there and especially this brand. The incubator died in the middle of the night after 8 days of use. We immediately got a Nuture right 360 from local TSC store and while it was a little on the pricey side it has worked like a champ! The eggs did survive the brief temp drop from the dead incubator. The moral of that story is to avoid China made products as much as possible itā€™s just not worth it.
I have one more egg still in lockdown mode, which should pop out on Monday. I will post pics as they grow, but for now Iā€™d love to answer any questions you may have since I see so many of us are jumping in feet first on owning, raising, and growing chickens. šŸ˜€
Thank you for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom